River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Hello everyone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
project_dog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Hello everyone Reply with quote

Hello everyone, Name is Brian, front Spokane, WA. I just picked up a 1967 Volkswagen Beetle. It has been about 10 plus years since I last owned a Volkswagen. My dad and mom had Volkswagen's when they grew up, from beetles, convertible beetle, baja bugs, fast back, bay window camper bus. I had a rag top baja bug, a split window kombie bus and now a 1967 beetle. So Volkswagen's have been in my family. "Its not a hobby its a love affair."

Anyways, I bought this 1967 last friday. My plan of attack is get the body off and redo the chassis, transmission, engine. Get some of the rust repaired on the car and i might just roll with the patina color.

I would love to make it to one of the meetings, but I work nights at dealer ship.

Well enjoy the pictures.

IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a225/Project_dog/1967%20bug/20140419_214913_zpso4ymkdhj.jpg[/IMG]

I hope I can meet up with all soon.
ONEBADBUG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 7th is the next meeting, but if you go to Vintagevolks dot com, you'll see a discussion of some guys hitting the local car shows already.
67's have too many one year only parts to suit me, but then, I never leave anything stock!
Steve
hubcapt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up Dustin's bug, looked like a solid project.

I'd vote to keep the paint where its at, its only original once.
project_dog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill take a look at website. Thanks.
Asesapie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet bug man! Keep the paint as is, it's perfect!
project_dog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motor is almost torn down. I did a lot of cutting and hammering to remove the cylinders. But once I did. The crankshaft moved. My question is can reuse the the 16 studs? It holds the cylinders liners and cylinder heads.
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Hello everyone Reply with quote

Yes you can reuse them. Buff that up for now it will have some good patina, looks like it has been painted before though.
ARR #3
sandals

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello everyone Reply with quote

Troy Hobbs wrote:
Yes you can reuse them. Buff that up for now it will have some good patina, looks like it has been painted before though.

Yep. Overspray on the black box is a tell tale sign. Cool bug, though. Will look good on the road.
project_dog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned up all the threads. They all look good. Some time this week I should be able to get the motor all torn down. I pulled the oil filter off. lots of water and some sort of sand in it.

My question is can I pull the case apart with the piston still connected? Or someone could come over and help me? I live up North Spokane. I dont have much tools since most of mine are at the dealership. Right now the short block is at my work in liberty Lake
project_dog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some more pictures. I got the motor torn down. It looks like the case is might be bad around the oil filter.

ONEBADBUG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's an "H" block, probably not worth working on. But you could put it back together with as little money as possible, just for the experience.
Then get a good engine later.
project_dog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a H block. Well ill be looking for a new engine. Are those h blocks made out of magnesium?
project_dog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of case should I buy. I either want to bore it out to a 1776cc or a 2110cc motor. I want to drive daily but also have fun at the drags.
ONEBADBUG

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

project_dog wrote:
What kind of case should I buy. I either want to bore it out to a 1776cc or a 2110cc motor. I want to drive daily but also have fun at the drags.

That's everybody's dream! Unfortunately, the 2 are opposite ideals when building the engine.
Back to your questions, they're all magnesium, but there's lots of different alloys. H is the worst, the head studs pull out quite commonly. You want a late model dual port block, like AE, AH, and the fuel injection cases are really good. AJ? I forget. I think Baxsie has one.
Anyway, like I said, if you plan to do it yourself, build the one you have now for practice. I have bearings and stuff.
dssbk

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Engine case Reply with quote

I wouldn't waste any time or money on that case, all that corrosion ain't gonna go away. I just creates weak points in the case and it will leak like a mutha f***er!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: