River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Timing question on my 1835cc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firebug

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Timing question on my 1835cc Reply with quote

The engine in my bug was built by Bow Wow in Spokane back in the early 90's. It's an 1835cc and has dual weber 40's and a mild cam in it and I am wondering if anybody can tell me what I should be setting the timing at? Thanks
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Timing question on my 1835cc Reply with quote

Would need to know what distributor you have to answer that question.
ARR #3
ONEBADBUG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Troy said...but, with a timing gun that has a degree wheel, set the total advance, around 3000 rpm, to 32-36 degrees. It depends on compression ratio, and the general use of the engine. A low compression engine can take as much as 42 degrees, a high compression engine might ping on regular gas with as little as 28.
Almost certainly you have a 009, so set the total, and then back it off if it's hard to start. Many 009's only have 20 degrees in them.
firebug

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the 009 distributor. We've started to try and dial it in but am still having flat spots when pushing it thru the gears. Sounds like 009's are notorious for that? Can it be dealt with or would it be better to put a vacuum advance distributor back in it? Thanks guys!
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Timing question on my 1835cc Reply with quote

The 009 flat spot is when used with a stock 34 pict 3 carb, dual carbs run just fine with them (may be better choices). Flat spots with dual carbs are usually from improper jetting, wrong float height, miss adjusted linkage or carbs just out of sync. Make sure your valves are set, check/set your point gap/dwell, and then time as Steve recommended. Then if you still have a flat spot, start checking the carbs.
ARR #3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: