River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Engine and transmission rebuilds
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toph

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Engine and transmission rebuilds Reply with quote

Is there anyone around that can do engine and transmission rebuilding? I would appreciate any information.
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Engine and transmission rebuilds Reply with quote

Fred Meyer in Carreywood does transmission rebuilds and can do engines (don't know if he wants to do engines). His number is (208) 290-3969
ARR #3

Last edited by Troy Hobbs on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Toph

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your not pulling my leg with that name are you? Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
dssbk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you expecting to pay for a rebuild?
Is your core engine rebuildable?
Are you replacing piston & cyls. or just re-ringing? new bearings? new cam & lifters, oil pump, head work? crankshaft grinding? linebore???

If you add labor to the parts above, it would almost be more cost effective to buy a longblock.

I'm in the process of building an engine for a friend right now, and it's not cheap. It all depends on what you want done or how deep your pockets are.

Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Engine and transmission rebuilds Reply with quote

Not pulling your leg! Very well known trans guy.
ARR #3
sandals

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and transmission rebuilds Reply with quote

Troy Hobbs wrote:
Not pulling your leg! Very well known trans guy.

Very true. Fred is a good guy, does excellent work, and he is so well loved they named a chain of stores after him. Wink
Asesapie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred is awesome!! He built a motor for me last year and its been running great ever since every day in my daily driver bus.
Can't go wrong with fred
Toph

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me. Thanks for everyone's help.
Toph

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine I have is currently (1300) running and runs very well. I recently did a compression test and it was right where it needed to be. However the down side is I have no clue what has been done to it or anything else. I just know it runs good. So my thinking is if I am getting the transmission done why not have the engine gone through also. I would like it pulled apart, inspected and have it gone through. Replace what needs replaced and so on. Then I would feel better about it. Not knowing where it sits mechanically keeps me from taking the car on trips and such. Its just to much of an unknown for me to trust it. Don't want to get stranded. Make sense?
sandals

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand you want to know exactly what's in there, but if I had an engine that ran smooth, had good compression and oil pressure, and had little to no thrust end play, I would not touch it. Just keep it tuned and drive it. Almost always, your engine will give you clues as to how it feels, and will let you know when it is getting tired, or ready to drop a valve, etc.

Here's an idea. Keep your engine just as it is currently, and have a longblock built that is nearly identical. That way, if you do have a problem, you can simply swap your tin, carb, distributor, etc. over to the new longblock, and keep on trucking. Make sure you have towing coverage on your insurance, or AAA, and drive off into the sunset with no worries.
fender57vneck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re engine and transmission rebuild Reply with quote

I would talk to Steve, owner of Master Lube in Post Falls. He has done well for my 74 Super Beetle. He has also been very fair and knows much about VWs. He owns a beautiful red Beetle, which he dispays in front of his shop.
Toph

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Trans rebuild Reply with quote

I tried to call Fred Meyer and that number is no good. Is he still rebuilding transmissions? Is there another number to reach him at?
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Trans rebuild Reply with quote

I'll check around, he may have gone south for part of the winter.
ARR #3
sandals

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy, if you can't find any info, I can stop by Mitch's shop and ask him. He'll know how to contact Fred if no one else can.
Long-roofs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just talked to Fred two days ago, same number: 208-290-3969
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: