River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

my 62 bug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asesapie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: my 62 bug Reply with quote

well i bought this 62 from scott aka motofly here locally from the club. thanks again for the car im loving working on it and fixing it up.
well so far i have taken all the interior out and replaced the passenger rear quarter pan and patched a few other pan areas. i had to replace the passenger side heater channel up to the a pillar. i also did the passenger side quarter panel today and will be doing the drivers side soon. i started to look at the front apron today since the hood/trunk wouldnt close. i started to notice that there is a lot of body filler in there and it looks like it was hit pretty hard in the front. the apron may need to be replaced but i might be able to just fix it (i hope).
here are a few pics of the progress. this is my first time replacing/welding body metal like this. i think pretty decent so far.

motofly196

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good so far Dan! Might wanna turn up the heat a little bit on your welder...you got alotta' grindin to do! I found out the hard way when I welded the dash in my bus...I spent alot of time grinding.

Scott
Asesapie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so this is what i did today. i welded in the drivers side inner structure on the rear quarter area and a new rear quarter. also put chassis saver on the pan to give it some protection.

Asesapie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finished putting my 1600 sp in the bug today and converting to 12v! Woohoo I can go faster and start better!
hubcapt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Danno!!
Should look good with some broken suspension work Cool
Asesapie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have been busy on the bug. Scott don't get too upset that i decided to paint the bug but that was due to the amount of body filler on the car that i found and the repairs that needed to be made. so i decided that i would sand through the first layer of paint and i found body filler in both front quarters and that the pass side of the front of the car was hit pretty hard at one time and that prevented the hood from being able to close. so i removed the front apron and had to cut some of the front structure behind the apron away also as that was damaged also. i got a replacement front clip from kaleb and am using the apron and some of the front structure to fix the damage to the front of the car so that the hood will now close. here are a few update pics.

Asesapie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i welded up the new inner fender panel and the front apron too.

Asesapie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i have the bug to the point that paint can be sprayed! i will hopefully be taking getting it painted on sunday, or early next week. can't wait to be driving it!

Asesapie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i stevie and i taped it up and he layed down some red on the bug today! here are a few pics of what it looked like right after the paint was sprayed.

Doodoob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!
Asesapie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i got all the trans mounts replaced, re-sealed the rear axles, new wing nut for the clutch cable, new fuel line and filter, clutch and the motor back in. lowered total of 2 splines in the rear, 2" narrowed adjustable beam w/2.5" drop spindles. so i took it for a spin and it didnt do that crazy surging anymore. but i didnt cut the rear spring plates enough so they are bottoming out if i hit a soild bump in the road. I'm seriously considering getting some jerfab drop plates instead though so i get normal full travel in the rear and limited toe in. but here are some pics of the bug with her new family so my '62 ruby red, '63 creamcicle, '69 sunrise red/almond square.

hubcapt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like someone needs a Ghia!
Sprø Norsk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this while visiting spokane a couple of weeks ago. Looks sharp!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: