River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Installing engine: Mission accomplished!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shakey Slim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Installing engine: Mission accomplished! Reply with quote

Finally! My engine is finished and ready to go in the bug! First, a few questions:

It's a '71 1600 DP going into a '68 body. Are there any differences between the years in how the throttle cable links up? On a test fit today the tube from the body doesn't line up with the tube through the doghouse, and the cable seems to be short.

Once the engine is mated to the tranny and the splines are lined up, is it OK to close the gap between the case and transmission by tightening the mount bolts? On my test fit, I got it all together, but couldn't close that last 1/2 inch. Turning a wheel (in 4th gear) turned the crank, so I'm good there.

Last edited by Shakey Slim on Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
jengel451

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while, so bear with me.

First off, if you don't have the engine all the way in, don't try to line things up or check if they fit.

Second, you need to get the last half inch together before you start tightenning bolts, did you use a clutch alignment tool when you installed the clutch?
colxvws63

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jim don't force things in on that last inch or so .You could break clutch parts or worse you could break your bellhousing . do you the right clutch parts ? 71 moters had differant clutches than 68 trans
the thow out bearing set up is not the same .
Shakey Slim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colxvws63 wrote:
I agree with Jim don't force things in on that last inch or so .You could break clutch parts or worse you could break your bellhousing . do you the right clutch parts ? 71 moters had differant clutches than 68 trans
the thow out bearing set up is not the same .

Hmmm...that might be it. I bought a new clutch (200mm with removable TO bearing collar) and a new early-style throwout bearing (to replace the old one on the gearbox). I didn't remove the TO bearing collar from the clutch plate because I wasn't sure if it needed to be on or not. Seems like I may be stacking throwout bearings!

I did use a clutch alignment tool, and the "test fit" was all done supported by a jack. The lower mount bolts lined up with the holes in the bell housing, and I had about 1/4" of thread showing through the bell housing for each bolt when it stopped moving. None of the bolts were tightened, and I had to drop the engine back down to solve the throttle cable problem (still working on that).

BTW, I called it a "test fit" just because I had to drop the engine back down. Believe me, I was fully committed to putting that engine in!
Shakey Slim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I was right. For the early throwout bearings, the center ring needs to be there (right?). So it's hanging up somewhere else.
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Installing engine: questions Reply with quote

You didn't happen to get the throatle cable slack stuck between the flywheel and the bellhousing , did you?
ARR #3
Shakey Slim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. The throttle cable comes out of the tunnel in a tube, and then the cable threads into another tube that passes through the engine tin. These two tubes are not lining up. There's about a 2" gap sideways between them (with the engine *almost* mated to the gearbox, about a 1/2" gap).
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: questions Reply with quote

I relize you have two tubes, but check between them, where you said its not linning up, the cable slack here can get between the flywheel and trans.
ARR #3
jengel451

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tubes not lining up is a different issue all together. (enter airplane joke here)

Priorities:
1. Fix whatever it is that's stoping the clutch/input shaft/gland nut from fully engaging, something is definately wrong there.

2. Are you sure that the engine is aligned with the mounts? Meaning, are you sure the engine isn't twisted a bit, making the tubes not line up?

Are you sure the tunnel tube wasn't bent when you pulled the original engine?

Also, the engine that came out of the bug, was it a stock 12V motor/flywheel? Replacing with same?

Also, because you turned the wheel and it turned the crank, that only means that the splines are on the clutch disk, not that the pilot shaft has mated into the gland nut, make sure there's nothing blocking the gland nut bearings.
Shakey Slim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lining up the engine mounts is definitely the #1 priority. I've dropped the engine out, and will give it another try this weekend. I think the engine wasn't exactly level with the gearbox, and there was a twist that was binding up.

I bought the bug w/o an engine, so I don't know if the tunnel tube was bent or not. I'll check that this weekend. I don't know what engine was originally in it, but the bug is 12V.

Thanks for all the input. I'll keep you posted.
Shakey Slim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday morning the engine went into the bug without any problems! Jacked it up, made sure everything was lined up, gave a push, and Presto! Slipped on without any problems!

Now comes all the minor checks to get it roadworthy. Oh, and the break-in.
jengel451

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! good luck!
Sprø Norsk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, let us know how it works out and maybe post some pictures Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: