River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Anyone willing to help me out?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayfarer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Anyone willing to help me out? Reply with quote

So, I bought this '64 about four years ago in pieces. I put it back together, had the engine rebuilt by Chris at Custom VW and planned on having my wife drive it for fun in the summer. We've got to drive it exactly once, other than to move it around. Sometimes it will start right up and run fine, sometimes it won't. If I pour some gas in the carb, it will always start, but sometimes it will run and sometimes it won't. I've spent a lot of time and money on this thing, but I'd like to use it a little bit before I get fed up and sell it. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to take a look at it and help me get it going? It's a neat little car, but right now, it's just something to look at. I live off of Indian Trail if anyone is in the neighborhood.
sandals

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like it should be an easy diagnosis. If I lived closer I would give it a shot. I don't get to Spokane very often, though.
Sprø Norsk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the Indian trail area and would not mind taking a look. I may not be the most versed in all things but I am willing to do what I can do. Single carb?
ONEBADBUG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what little you said I am going to say that it has fuel supply issues from sitting around. Pull out the gas tank, take off the outlet thingamajig, and get a new screen from Lighthouse. I'll bet it is full of gunk and rust.
replace all the rubber fuel lines and put in a new filter.
wayfarer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything's been replaced and the tank has been cleaned. Yes, it's a single carb.
JVWH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first VW was a bug (74') and i had to fix everything on it myself. Not to discredit custom VW or anything but being the only well known VW mechanic in the area watch out for the prices and in betweens. I live just off of crestline. about how far out are you? almost every problem i had with mine was fixed with simple things: timing, spark plugs+wires, distributer cap, coil, condenser, does yours have an electric choke? post a little more about your problem and it might be a little easier to diagnose. But popular VW mechanics like things to go just alittle wrong, so they have more customers Smile. again not discrediting nayone or pointing fingers, just something i think about myself.
ONEBADBUG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next guess would be that the float valve in the carb is sticking. You can take the carb top off without removing the carb first.
Sprø Norsk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfarer wrote:
Everything's been replaced and the tank has been cleaned. Yes, it's a single carb.

My offer still stands and my schedule this week is pretty open.
wayfarer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to have you come take a look. Let me throw the battery on the charger so it's ready when you want to come by. I teach, so I'm at work during the day, but home by 3:30 every afternoon.

After having the engine rebuilt and still having trouble with it, I took it back to Chris. He rebuilt the carb, just as I had and still couldn't get it to run, so he replaced the carb with a new one. Still hasn't worked with any consistency.

I can start the car by pouring some gas in the carb and it will usually stay running. The fuel pump is working and there is always gas in the clear fuel filter. Once I shut it off, or when it dies, I can't get it started again usually. It just cranks and cranks. Yes, the carb has an electric choke. The gas pedal is kind of mickey-moused; something that leads to it dying once I get it running. I'd like to replace the whole thing, from the pedal to the carb, but I get conflicting information when I start looking into what I need to do it. I also suspect that it needs a throwout bearing, but I can easily do that in a weekend. I've replaced the plugs and wires and Chris replaced the points and condensor.

Basically, I'm a hot rod guy. I have quite a bit of experience with American V8s and was always told that VWs are simple to work on. So far, it has been far more difficult than any of my other cars. Maybe it's just because it's out of my comfort zone. I actually bought the car for my wife, something she's always wanted. With the frustration we've had over it and a new baby, she's just about ready to cut our losses and get rid of it. I'd just like to get it so she can at least drive it a few times before it goes down the road.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: