River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Dual Carb Tuning HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asesapie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Dual Carb Tuning HELP Reply with quote

hey everyone so i have dual solex carbs i just cant seem to tune up and make them run right on my 69 squareback. so i am asking if there is anyone here in spokane that is pretty good at tuning and making these things run decent for me. i will pay them for there services with money or beer your choice.

i am off work on saturday and could do it that day and maybe i could learn how to do this right.

thanks dan
hubcapt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to learn everything I can on dual carbs quickly to score that beer!

Or at least go to Dans while the carb tech is there to also learn.

What seems to be the issues? These are the freshy rebuilt carbs from Oregon? I thought the rebuilder of them dialed them in on a car before he sent them?
Asesapie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well these are carbs he said would work he didnt infact replace the bushings cause he said that they had normal wear and shouldnt have any problem and the motor that was set up to run carbs had low compression and wouldnt set in correctly but he did start them up to see that everything worked.

now the problem, they pop out the carb side when running between 1200-2200 rpm. so i checked all the nuts from the manifold up to make sure that there wasnt a leak there and all are tight, next replaced points, condensor, rotor, cap to rule out dist problem. timing is set at about 30 degrees at 3,000rpm. and carbs are as synced/tuned as i can get them.

i can take my can of carb clean and spray it directly on the throttle shaft and the idle almost instantly drops, so im thinking that i have a vacuum leak at the throttle shaft where the bushungs are that are probably a little more worn than Geo in oregon thought.

thats whats going on so far
Asesapie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well kaleb and eric came over to my house this morning and we took a look at the carb issue. first i found my timing was off due to me not snugging up the lock nut on the dist so i think that was a big contributer. then the carbs still die out with carb clean sprayed on the throttle shaft area but we took it for a drive and found it was running pretty decent after all, what helped was i forgot the air cleaner. so the original oil bath air cleaner is a little clogged up somewhere and needs to be cleaned out pretty good cause we put it back on and it seemed to restrict air flow a bit to make a little funky. so i put normal air cleaners on them and well see how it goes. im also getting a different set of throttle base plates sent to me from Geo in oregon.

thanks kaleb and eric, i don't think im crazy with this any more ha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: