River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

A challenge this spring
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Dates for Lind run
April 30
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
May 7
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
May 14
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
May 21
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 5

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: A challenge this spring Reply with quote

LIND RUN

From Spokane International Airport to Tri-Cities International Airport is 136.21 miles in between the two airports on Hwy 395 is the city of Lind which is the home of the famous combine demolition derby. (I am not making that up).

From Tri-Cities airport to Lind it is 63.29 miles. From Spokane’s airport to Lind it is 76.56 miles.

The challenge has been issued by the Spokane River City VW Club (RCVW) to Tri-Cities Mid-Columbia VW Club (MCVW) that on a June 11 2010 that each club will drive to the city of Lind and at 12:15, the presidents of each club will count cars. The club with the most cars will have bragging rights and a 3x5 Volkswagen banner with a streamer denoting which club won and the year.

RULES OF THE RUN

Cars must be driven to Lind to be counted. No trailer queens allowed. If a car breaks down in route and is towed to Lind that car will be counted towards the clubs count.

Once a car arrives at the parking lot that car will place a small piece of flagging tape under their wiper blade or somewhere near or on the windshield to denote what club they belong to. Red for RCVW and blue for MCVW.

Official time will be from both club presidents’ cell phones.

At 12:15 SHARP all cars need to be in the parking lot and identified by flagging tape. Cars arriving after 12:15 will not be counted.

At 12:15 both club presidents will begin to count cars and whichever club has the most cars present wins the run.

RCVW will provide the streamers for this run but if the two clubs decide to do the challenge in following years each club will bring their own streamer to place on the banner if they win.

After the count and issue of the banner to the winning club both clubs will retire back inside the restaurant to eat and drink to celebrate the winning clubs victory.

Run organizer: Chris Imperial from River City VW Club

Above is the challenge to MCVW an if you go to their website they are having a lot of discussion over this run. Obvlously they think they are going to win this challenge.

All VW's are welcome! Should be a great run.

Last edited by Chris on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:05 am; edited 2 times in total
sandals

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be fun. I voted for the 14th, for no other reason than the fact that it will be my 40th birthday.

Speaking of the combine demo derby, why not do the run that day? It's in early June, I believe. Then there would be something to do in Lind after the run. I stopped there to get gas on the way home from the Tri-cities show a couple of weeks back. Only one gas station that appeared to be the type that needed a credit card when I only had cash. Not much else, but I did see a restaurant and an antique/junk store.
Long-roofs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun. I would not do it on Memorial Day weekend though, and the week before and after can be tough for people.

I agree with the combine demo day, sounds cool.

Do we need to hit up the Mid-Columbia VW club site to discuss with both sides?
wheezzy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to vote for the weekend of the Derby also.
have always wanted to go but needed a good reason.

http://www.lindwa.com/lind%27sweekend.html
vwrus66

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in for the combine demo derby weekend! Seen it once before its a lot of fun!
85 Golf GTI
97 Jetta
2008 Rabbit
CDA Racer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here are a couple dates that we need to keep in mind. May 13th-15th is lost in the fifties Sandpoint Idaho, May 27th 30th memorial day weekend June 17th-18th Car D Lane in CDA Idaho. So my vote would be the June 11th date so we can see the demo derby.
sandals

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind being gone during Lost in the Fifties. It's a fun car show and all, but this little town gets a little crazy with stupid people for the weekend.
hubcapt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in!!

But I agree in finding something to do after the cruise, turning around to head back to spokane would not be as much fun as it could be.

Demo derby + hitting up a campground/motel?!?
sandals

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some digging into the services offered by the bustling metropolis of Lind and here is what I found. You can camp in the dirt RV lot by the race track for @ 25 for the weekend. (Google search worked earlier, but won't work right now so I am going on my limited short term memory)

There are races/demo derby with regular cars on Friday night, then a parade, lunch, combine smashing, and grain truck races on Saturday. Combine smash starts @ 3. Not sure of there is any other place close by that we could circle the wagens for a campout, or if we could just dig into the dirt of the track and test the patience of the local PD. (or Adam's county sheriff's department, since I doubt Lind has a PD.)

I was able to get the search to work this time. Camping is $25! Ouch! Maybe we could contact them for a group rate since our buses take up 1/3 the space of an RV. Tickets for the Demo are $15.

Here's the link. http://www.lindwa.com/ Scroll down to see the derby info.

I tried to get onto the MCVW club website to post up about the date preference but I have not been allowed to log in yet. I'll keep trying.
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll conclusion is that we will hold the run during the combine derby weekend June 11. I will pass on to MCVW and see if they like that date and then I will go from there coordinating run location and such with Troy and their club president.
Thanks for the responses.
Chris
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright it's official! MCVW just agreed to June 11 for the Lind Run, the day of the combine demo derby.
Long-roofs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Anyone have a Combine we can bring to crash?
floydismydog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: HI Reply with quote

This sounds like great fun, but again I have another stupid newbie question. How do I become a member of RCVC? Send someone some $$$?
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is the banner for the Lind Run. It is 3x5 and will look good hanging on the wall. Check out MCVW.org I posted a picture there also but told them it would look good in our club presidents garage! We'll see how much flak I get from that. Laughing
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here is what I just posted on the MCVW club site. Here is a picture of the covent "Place of honor for the Lind Run banner." Just stirring the pot so the run is not forgotten over the winter. The picture is of Troy's shop and will look good there when we win! You can check out their chatter on MCVW.org and then look under forum and then gatherings and then it is under "we have been challanged"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: