River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

New to the VW World

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: New to the VW World Reply with quote

Got a sweet deal on a 1970 Bug and I'm all excted but no one to share it with me. The wife thinks it smells funny. Figure I would do a google search and what do you know, a Spokane VW club!

I havn't named her yet but I'm thinking real hard.

The short story is I got it from a Non-Profit that got it donated. They wanted her out of the parking lot quick. So for $500 she went home with me. I have had more expensive dates then her though Embarassed .

There is some basic cancer rust on floor pan and inside the cab, but the previous owner was in the works for restoring it. Below is a list so far.

New Break pads
New Tires
New Shocks all the way around
New Solex Carb
New Fuel Pump (and lines)
New plugs and wires
New Distributor cap
New Driver & Passanger seats
New Battery
New Master Cylinder (may be rebuilt)

A VW mechanic in Montana "went through" the motor (not sure what that means). The clutch is tight, and the transmission seems to be in good working order.

I have not had a chance to check the Valve clearance, or the gaps on the points but she seems to run well at higher RPMs.

The problem is there is a huge hessitation at low RPMs, to the point that it will die if I am not careful. Which leaves the bug rolling out into the middle of the street caughing and sputtering till the RPMs finally come up. Or I have to rev the motor and feather the clutch till I get some speed. Mostly in first gear, slight hessitation in second and none really in third or fourth.

I have attempted to work with the carb, but its being mean to me. That and my inductive tach can give me wild readings. I checked for leaks and and found none (using the starter fluid spray random gaskets test). I have played with the carb via the Clymer Manual and John Miur book but alas she still doesn't have the pep off the line.

I am getting the plates tomorrow and may come out to see you guys at your cruse. I'll either bring out the bug, or I may come out on the old Motorcycle.

I do work on Wed evenings, so I know that I won't normally have the time to come to a meeting, but I would like to rub elbows with some fellow VWs

Thx John

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: New to the VW World Reply with quote

John , first welcome , second before you start with the carb , you need to make sure the valves are set (cold .006 with stock pushrods) and the point dwell is correct (50 degrees +-2). Then you can check the timing , then mess with the carb . See you tonight . TROY
Smow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Troy,

Didn't work out for me coming. I didn't get the plates as I don't have the title and when moving a car from ID to WA you can't just have the dealer bill of sale paper work. Even though they said that it "should" work.

I will make it a point to come to bugfair though!

John

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got the engine hessitation (spelling?) figured out, the points were not opening up. I also got the plates so I'm legal to drive.

Now for the Grrrr.

The starter really has a hard time turing over the motor. When I first got the bug it turned over fine. I have confirmed that the Battery is good and have even tried to jump start the bug but that didn't help. I have not had a chance to get under the bug to try to see if shorting the starter and by passing the ignition switch will show the problem.

Sadly she sits till then. I have thought about taking the bug to Coeur D' Alene for the mechanic off of US95 would work on it for me. My garage is not exacly the best place to be working on her, since it is filled to the brim with motorcycles. I'm not willing to leave my bikes out in the rain/snow while I work on the bug.

Darn it!
Darn it!
Darn it!

And I still work on Wed evening.
John

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: New to the VW World Reply with quote

Could be a bad starter bushing making it turn over slow , or the starter itself may be going bad . I could give you a couple local shops that would be closer than the one you mentioned .TROY
CustomVW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have the rack open on tuesday if you want to schedule it in. 509-483-3970
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: