River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Buying Advise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdb992

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Buying Advise Reply with quote

I am looking at buying the Bug in the link below. All the work he has done appears to be top notch. The major issue he doesnt have the engine "dialed" in yet. It starts with starter fluid and sounds great but wont keep running. He thinks it might be a float issue.

Besides this and a small electrical issue it truly looks like a new car. No rust issues. The only concern I have is not being able to test drive it.

Im not real knowlegeable in this area and wondered if anyone has an opinion? I am looking at it again tomorow with my dad who has more mechanical knowledge. If there are any Bored VW Gurus who Might want to join us and give me therir 2 cents worth of advise, you would be welcome.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/1378190053.html
vwrus66

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking for $4500.00 he should have it dialed in already! Starting fluid is not an ideal way to keep starting the engine. Good idea to take your dad along to check it out also take a small magnet with you and check the body for bondo, if there is alot of bondo on the body a magnet wont stick! Good Luck.
85 Golf GTI
97 Jetta
2008 Rabbit
motofly196

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they've done alot of work on it...and not get it running? That should make you think about the rest of the work. $4500 bucks for a late model is pretty steep in this economy. If you're looking for something in that price range, there are ALOT nicer bugs out there that are probably already daily drivers. Just do a search on Samba, and see what $4500 can get ya, it's a good way to compare anyways. Good luck!

Scott
smithe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $2100 obo you can have the car I saw on Division that is listed on CL, it was originally $3500, I remember seeing the original ad.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/ctd/1398945015.html
mdb992

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for all your advise. I pretty much came to the same conclutions after thinking on it for a day. I dont want to denegrate the work he has done. I can tell everything else really has been a quality restoration.

Ill have my dad take a look at it, but will most likely tell him to give me a call when he gets its running right.

Thanks again.
Sprø Norsk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has allready been said, but, I would keep looking. There are far better deals out there.
Just another person's opinion...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: