River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Chassis rebuild and a question on pressing ball-joints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> Car Pictures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordank

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Chassis rebuild and a question on pressing ball-joints Reply with quote

Thought I'd post some pics of the pan rebuild, last coat of paint went on this weekend. New floorpans were welded on, por-15 applied, seam sealer, etc.

Had a broken bolt in one of the shock towers at the back, and my extractor tool broke inside it while i was trying to pull it out. Had to drill around it (cant' drill through the hardened steel of the extractor tool), and pull the whole bit out. The hole left was pretty big, but just the right size for a flared 10mm nut, which I pressed in there, then welded around into the cast iron surrounds. Came out pretty well, considering.

question - anyone know who locally can press new ball-joints in for me?

IMG_1899.JPG
 Description:
the 10mm nut welded into the rear shock tower, and cleaned up.
 Filesize:  56.4 KB
 Viewed:  13999 Time(s)

IMG_1899.JPG

IMG_1892.JPG
 Description:
new pans welded in, stripped of paint, and getting por-15 metal ready on them.
 Filesize:  92.78 KB

IMG_1892.JPG

IMG_1861.JPG
 Description:
chassis with the old pans cut out, and new ones trial fitted.
 Filesize:  86.89 KB

IMG_1861.JPG

1958 Karmann Ghia
1957 Beetle
jordank

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more pics

IMG_1913.JPG
 Description:
pan painted, and ready to start receiving the suspension parts
 Filesize:  63.82 KB
 Viewed:  13998 Time(s)

IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1912.JPG
 Description:
shock tower after painting
 Filesize:  66.45 KB
 Viewed:  13998 Time(s)

IMG_1912.JPG

1958 Karmann Ghia
1957 Beetle
jengel451

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, I may want to see that in person. the Por15 looks way better than I would have thought, I may go that route rather than powder coating.
jordank

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jengel451 wrote:
Very nice, I may want to see that in person. the Por15 looks way better than I would have thought, I may go that route rather than powder coating.

yeah, I was skeptical on the por-15, but after spending hours on the samba reading other people's experiences - decided to try it out. I am going to spray some rubber undercoat on the bottom of the pan (mostly for a little bit of sound deadening), and spray some rattle-can enamel on the front/rear suspension parts and horns (por-15 is apparently sensitive to UV light, and though I doubt sun would ever see under the body - better safe than sorry)

If you're passing through CDA and want to have a look, let me know, I'm close to downtown there.

1958 Karmann Ghia
1957 Beetle
jengel451

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, been searching Samba too, but glad you did it first so I can see for myself. Thanks for being the lab rat!

For sound, i'm going to go the dynamat route, not cheap, but I know that type of material works really well.
motofly196

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did the same thing, except that it was in my 1981 GMC Jimmy Fullsize. The POR 15 goes on really nice! I just used a paint brush...that stuff didn't even leave brush marks! After I finished with that, I topcoated with Herculiner (like Rhino Lining, but you roll it on). That would definately be a better way to go than using undercoating.

Scott
jordank

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
I just did the same thing, except that it was in my 1981 GMC Jimmy Fullsize. The POR 15 goes on really nice! I just used a paint brush...that stuff didn't even leave brush marks! After I finished with that, I topcoated with Herculiner (like Rhino Lining, but you roll it on). That would definately be a better way to go than using undercoating.

Scott

I think I saw Herculiner at Napa, I'll check it out. I'm def thinking of the dynamat s well, on the inside of the floor pans, inside the quarter panels, doors, wheel wells, and the trunk area. I am concerned about the amount of weight it adds to the car though - that stuff is HEAVY. It would be like riding around with an extra person in the car all the time... Wink

1958 Karmann Ghia
1957 Beetle
CustomVW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

por is fantastic stuff, as long as you don't breath it Smile

BTW, I press ball joints.
jordank

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CustomVW wrote:
por is fantastic stuff, as long as you don't breath it Smile

BTW, I press ball joints.

Great, I'll be stopping by next week sometime, most likely. Now, I do have CB performance dropped spindles - do I need to get the 'lowered' ball joints, or would standard ones work? I may end up dropping it a little further with the adjusters, depending on the ride quality and look, but I don't expect it to be anything more than 0.5-1" more, at max.

1958 Karmann Ghia
1957 Beetle
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Chassis rebuild and a question on pressing ball-joints Reply with quote

Stock ball joints with drop spindles. The spindle moves on the nuckle to lower the car, the rest of the geometry stays stock. The little you plan on going with the beam adjustment doesn't warrant the extra travel ball joints.

Also , POR makes a chassis paint to go over the 15 to protect from the UV's

ARR #3
jengel451

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just going to mention that. I may spray the POR as well, get a couple cheap throw away guns and go for it.

Now who wants to show up for the body lift? Wink
jordank

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jengel451 wrote:
Was just going to mention that. I may spray the POR as well, get a couple cheap throw away guns and go for it.

Now who wants to show up for the body lift? Wink

I used some of those sponge disposable brushes, $4 a set at Home Depot. It went on very easy, and dries extremely smooth. Plus you can force it into corners and seams a lot better with the brush. I would say spraying it is not needed, personally.

1958 Karmann Ghia
1957 Beetle
CustomVW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've used spayers for it, application is smooth, and fast, cleanup is easy when it's just a spray gun, and some plastic sheeting. You do have to thin it 50/50 though.
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: using dynamat Reply with quote

The dynamat stuff is great. I used it on the engine lid of my squareback and because of the weight of the dynamat I painted all around the engine lid with undercoating and then used that felt with space blanket material on top of everything. Worked like a charm.
I am going to cut out squares of the dynamat for behind the interior panels. If you get a chance check out sounds on wheels they have a display of the stuff with a small bell with a small piece of dynamat stuck to it and the bell is really muted. Beside being heavy the stuff is expensive also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> Car Pictures All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: