River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Hi, I'm new and here's my bug.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> Car Pictures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ironhorsewayne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Hi, I'm new and here's my bug. Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Adam, I live in the valley. I bought this bug back in March and on the way home it decided to not work anymore (trying to figure out the problem). Anyway, great site.

skeeter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking bug.
What are the symptoms?

smithe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skeeter wrote:
Nice looking bug.
What are the symptoms?

What he said plus welcome.
Mr Bs Bug N Buggy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site......Love the Bug...... Very Happy

Dune Buggies are unequaled in "smiles per mile"
ironhorsewayne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Symptoms Reply with quote

Well, I bought it in Seattle and about half way home it started revving to full throttle without me even having to press the gas pedal. Now when I start it it revs to full throttle. I have been told that it is possibly a vacuum issue. It has dual Solex 35s and from what I understand when using these you need to vent the crankcase which the previous owner did NOT do. After looking into the car it turns out it is quite the frankenstein. Here goes. It's a 66 pan with a 72 body and various other parts, including the axles which are different somewhere between those years. The ones on it are too long which I believe are from the 72. I really just want to swap from the dual carbs to a single weber or something just to keep it simple. Anyway before I make a wall of text...thanks for the warm welcome, I hope to get her running soon.
skeeter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check to make sure the manifolds and carbs are bolted down tight and the choke isn't sticking. Also check your timing.
I've got a weber progressive I'd love to switch to dual carbs but I dislike webers and think you'd be happier with what you've got.
I'm not sure what you mean by axles being too long, is it swing axle or IRS?

Good luck.

SoSlo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Hi, I'm new and here's my bug. Reply with quote

no doubt you've checked this,but...Is the throttle cable and linkage free and clear?
ironhorsewayne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Fixed! sorta Reply with quote

Well, after all of my speculation and heartburn, it turns out to be the simplest thing...throttle return spring. I'm such a bonehead. Lesson learned. While working in the engine compartment I noticed a few other things that need immediate attention, the bolts holding the alternator to the shroud...all missing, after replacing the alt pulley it wobbles need to replace the pulley cuz it's shot, and re shim. But the good news is there isn't anything wrong that cant be fixed. Thanks for the help guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> Car Pictures All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: