River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Fiberglass Street Buggys
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karl Hanson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Fiberglass Street Buggys Reply with quote

I am a new owner of a Meyers Towd that was licenced in California and have been told by the WSP that ALL fiberglass buggys are against the law in our state? Anyone ever waided through the RCW's / WAC's & found a way to licence them? Thanks
jengel451

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren should be able to help on this one if he's still frequenting the board. sounds like some at WSP was hitting the pipe though.

You might also check out the Manx forum, i'm sure they can help as well:

www.meyersmanx.com (Be warned, there are a lot of elitist A$$holes on that site)
ONEBADBUG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's bull. There are dozens of buggys in Spokane. Get collector car plates for it, they never expire.
Karl Hanson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my thought. I showed them a picture of one with Washington collector plates & was told it was not legal. They told me in 27 years there has only been one they licenced
Karl
Sprø Norsk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is not overly helpful, but I am going to say it anyway.

I know several people/have friends, running their legal buggies on the roads of washington.
jengel451

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is you talked to a trooper, they are only trained in obtaining revenue, they only know laws that will actually produce a revenue stream for the state, asking them about anything outside of the box is asking too much.

None in 27 years? That is a total BS.
vwrus66

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has got to be a lie I have seen them on the streets before. But the way most buggies are licensed is with the vin # from the pan of a bug they are mounted on I think that is the loophole needed. So true about cops only knowing how to right tickets they even have quotas that they have to right per day our tax dollars at work!
85 Golf GTI
97 Jetta
2008 Rabbit
skeeter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Manx built on a 65 pan back in the late 80's I had no trouble licensing.
Karl Hanson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I guess the deal is most the buggys you see are either titled as the bug pan or had a out of state title that said VW or somthing that did not through up a Red Flag to DMV. My title says it is a SDBG for the modle.
Janet Betts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is: Did you buy it from an owner in California or were you the owner and are trying to license it in Washington? If you purchased it out of California you need to contact the previous owner and have them write a notarized letter stating the car's numbers are all good. There used to be a form from DMV in California attesting to that fact and how the titles were issued. If not, you can attempt to license it with a bond on no title in Washington State. Does the pan have numbers on it or have they been removed? California titled them as kit cars and did not use vin numbers but sometimes on an old title you can find the numbers and they will work (look in old paperwork). This is not an uncommon problem - let me know if I can help you resolve it.
Karl Hanson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought it. It does have the title, registration, California street plates, VIN & California DMV inspection sticker. Everything matches. The problem is Washington DMV & WSP both say ALL Fiberglass buggys are NOT street legal {including fiberglass tubs on pans likes manx's }and if they have plates the owner has gotten around the law somehow. What I was hoping to find is someone who has found a loop-hole in the RCW / WAC rules.
jengel451

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just found this on the Samba: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=222779&highlight=washington
Mr Bs Bug N Buggy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....I am back.....we had a small bout with cancer with the wife and that took all precidence over cars !!!!and I have been a little side tracked on another Hot Rod build Wink

First off as stated that is crap they are feeding you because they don't want it on the road.

Second....do NOT tell them at DMV that it is a buggy, they do not need to know !!!

Third, that trooper is full of shit, buggies have been around for a long time, back in the day they were classed (if ran through inspection) as kit cars. Here is where a buggy gets hastled less then a Baja. The laws in Wa say kit cars do not have to have fenders or bumpers, however a baja is a modified vehicle so troopers pull them over for bumpers, mud flaps, tires to wide etc....can't do that to a buggy.

I want a Tow'd, so if you go to sell let me know.

I don't know what that model classification means on the title, but I have a bunch of buggy friends in Cali and I can find out if you do not have this resolved at the time of this post.

If you have not done it yet, you need to get on it, as of now there is no Wa. state inspection at the state patrol so you just go into DMV and do the work for an out of state car. None of us know when that will change again and I can guarentee you that you do not want to have to take it through inspection.

If i can be of any other help e-mail me at .. roddin49@comcast.net and I will try my best. I keep many forms right here at the shop and can maybe tell you who to go to to help sly things along... Wink

Dune Buggies are unequaled in "smiles per mile"
Mr Bs Bug N Buggy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you visit this site again please post what the title says under year and make.

I am doing some digging with my California buggy friends and need more info.

Also, if you got it handled, let me know that too.

Dune Buggies are unequaled in "smiles per mile"
Spectre_USA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bout of Cancer with the wife?

I know the feeling. Been dealing with it since Oct `07.

More surgery for her next week out in Utah, then again in July on the East Coast.

Kind of puts the crimp on fun-money for the fun-bug as well.

Tough row to hoe, lemme tell ya.

Best of luck to you and the wife...

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: