River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

What's my '69 project worth?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lemonshindig

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: What's my '69 project worth? Reply with quote

I got it for $100, but the catch was it didn't have a title. After 3 months of endless phone call loops and unreliable people, I finally chased down the registered and legal owners (neither of whom had anything to do with the guy i bought the car from, and one of whom lives north of seattle) and got necessary paperwork together. I then got it running, all I really did was file and re-gap the points.

The beetle is red, and has been in some sort of minor front-end collision. Both the front and rear fender aprons need replacing, the front hood and fenders are unpainted fiberglass, but the front left fender is torn and needs replaced or repair. The rear fenders have small cracks along the bottom, but are the original metal red fenders as far as i can tell. The engine is a single-port, I assume it's a 1500. The car drives up and down my street just fine, but i haven't done any heavy loads on it yet.

I have 2 studded tires mounted on wheels, one holds air and one doesn't. I have 8 other regular tires mounted on wheels, 2 of which hold air. None of the tires have good tread, the studded being the best with perhaps 50% tread.

the main body piece is cracked beside the engine, and needs repair.

The transmission, from what I can tell, shifts quite well, and the guy i bought the car from told me he had installed a new clutch a few years back and the car has been sitting since.

The seats are torn to shreds.

The battery holds a charge.

The ignition lock cylinder needs repair, because it doesn't turn with the key without some MAJOR working of the key and some WD-40, so i've removed the lock cylinder to get it repaired, and a locksmith over the phone quoted me 25$ to make it work with the original key that I have. This key fits and locks both doors and the engine lid great.

This car has some surface rust here and there, but from what I can tell, doesn't appear to have rusted through the metal anywhere.

There is a gas leak, I believe it is under the car near the clutch assembly.

The car has been sitting while I was gathering restoration funds and comtemplating whether I wanted to make it a dune buggy or restore it stock. However, I've got another project now which sparks my interest far more than the beetle, and I've found myself with two many projects and a little low on money.

No cracks in any glass. Bumpers are in good to slightly better than good condition, and i'm selling three bumpers off a '73 beetle with it.

Any idea what this car might be worth? What's a fair asking price for me to put on Craigslist?

Thanks!

-Matt

Pictures-
http://lemonshindig.no-ip.org/vw/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it runs I'll give you your $100 back.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go the thesamba.com and look at what other people are selling their vehicle for in the same condition. Or Look around town and what people are selling their vehicle in the same shape for.

Honestly, after looking through this...I do not think you are going to get much out of it at all, sorry.
Kylees63

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to get rid of it PM me and I'll have a look, might be a fun winter car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: