River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

wheel sizes advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordank

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: wheel sizes advice? Reply with quote

The oval project is coming along nicely, I have my disk brake kits, and the chassis is ready to have the new floorpans welded, and have 17 coats of por-15 on it Wink...

question about wheels... I did decide to go back to wide-5 on the '70 IRS pan.

front: 2" narrowed bj beam, CB performance disk brake kit, 2.5" dropped spindles - they say it increases track width by 7/8" on each side, so it should be just about back to standard with the narrowed beam)

rear: empi disk brake kit - they claim zero offset, but I'm yet to put them on and measure. lowered by an outside spline notch (approx 2")

Assuming the above is correct, and that track width both front and rear should be back to about standard, and that it would be about 2-2.5" lowered - what size wheels can I run?

I'm considering the simple steel chromies, like here:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-6621

can I run 5.5" wide both front and rear, or would I have to go to 4.5" front? tire sizes?

The aim is to have a daily driver car, no rubbing, decent ride. any and all advice is appreciated

1958 Karmann Ghia
1957 Beetle
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: wheel sizes advice? Reply with quote

If going with the chromies, the 4.5's will work best up front (better offset, the 5.5's will stick out too far). You will have to run a narrower the stock tire up front with it lowered, so a wheel wider than 4.5 isn't needed. The 5.5 vwould be great on the back and let you put on a bigger tire.
ARR #3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: