River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Need Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snodgrass.zach

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Need Help Reply with quote

I have a 64 vw baja bug that i just bought and it turns over but wont run or fire i need help im not very mechanical inclined and have no idea what i would be doing but willin to learn by far i just need some one to look at it and i would go from there I live in postfalls but i do have a tow bar for it and a truck so i can take it anywhere please email me if u live close or u can always call 208 818 4944 i talked to troy but sorry troy i have no idea what u were talking about but i will try to look it up in that book i have but again dont want to screw anything up that would put me in a deeper hole well i dont want to take it to a mechanic cuz i want to learn how to tear them down and put them back together so please reply thanks zac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, how to put this.

To learn how to work on aircooled, there is no other way really, than to dive right in and go for it. Otherwise, you would have to go to a school, and find someone who can show you for a few of years.

What your asking is for someone to condense 15years of experiance, into a half hour tv documentary for you, on how to repair it. It's not gona happen. Alot of the times your gona ask something, and the answer you get wil make no sense.

I'm not saying your stupid, or shouldn't try to figure it out, I'm saying you gotta grow a pair, and go for it.

Relax, there are lot's of us around, but don't rely on us to much, becuase you need to learn, and the school of hard knocks is the best way out there.

lesson one.....your gona break something....

lesson two.....it's gona cost to fix it

lesson three...if you didn't learn from it, your going to end up back at lesson one, until you do.

I'm sure that if you offered to sweep someone garage, or help them out, they would be happy to help you out.

I might even know someone.......

laterz
vwrus66

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a good book on air cooled engines and do like Custom VW said just dive in. I would start with your distributor and check the points and condensor and then start with the fuel system.
85 Golf GTI
97 Jetta
2008 Rabbit
jengel451

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going out on a limb here. but tomorrow (Wed) we are having an engine class, maybe Troy can chime in here, but it may be an opportunity for you to get some help.
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Need Help Reply with quote

I didn't even think of that when we were talking. You would be welcome to come, PM Steve or me for directions.
ARR #3
motofly196

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing you can do is buy John Muir's "How to fix a Volkswagen" or something like that. He wrote it so even someone with no mechanical abilities can do repairs. I sometimes get frusterated with it, because you have to read through alot of things to get to his point, but he will take you from point A to point B and get the repair done. For more technical repairs, this book isn't that great. But it is good for the basic repairs. Good luck! Get it at Barns n Nobles, Hastings...ect. About $30 I think. I've had mine over 25 years!!!

Scott
(and still reference it time to time!) Very Happy
RichM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Tech support Reply with quote

I live in hayden and can try to make time to help you if you desire. Keep in mind I am slow and find myself at Chris's Rule three the majority of the time! I also have a book that you can borrow if needed.

Rich

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: