River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

The Zombies ate my brain.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ONEBADBUG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: The Zombies ate my brain. Reply with quote

For those who don't know the story of the Bugin engine blow, here's the story:

It’s the Zombie Apocalypse. You have to get out of town, but the only car left is an old bug. The engine is shot, there’s no machine shops, no parts house, what are you gonna do?
The engine has burned a rod bearing, has a loose flywheel, and the #1 main bearing is loose in the case:

Here is my solution. I filed the end of the crank flat, and found another flywheel. I had a set of ten under rod bearings for the three “good” journals, and I measured the destroyed journal as only a few thousands less than the minimum for twenty under. Problem was, the crank was not round and had a ridge down the center, so I ground a groove in the rod bearing to match the shape of the crank.

I just happened to have a main bearing the right size, and with three wraps of a slinky toy, it fit in the case pretty good.

How long do YOU think it will last? Oh, yeah, one last thing, there’s only one quart of oil left!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's how it turned out. It only lasted 1 minute and 18 seconds. I was quite disappointed, I really thought it would make it 5 minutes or so.

You know it’s going to be a bad day when the oil drain plate looks like this.

It looks like a bomb went off inside.

I was curious to see what the rod bearing looked like. It hadn’t occurred to me there would be nothing left to look at.

This just makes me laugh!

Some more:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: