River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDMorgan

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

Hello all. My name is Debbie and I am restoring my 69 Ghia I have owned for 40 years. This was my car back in high school. (tells you how old I am). It was a daily driver off and on 50/50 this entire time. If I knew then what I know now, I would have taken better care of it. It is complete but worn and has those minor dents that come from young foolish drivers Smile.
The last time I drove it has been approx 10 years. It cranked right up but needs fine tuning. I am looking for a good mechanic to do various work on it to make it a reliable daily driver when I get it back from being beautified. My previous mechanic is now retired. Any suggestions?
I would attend the meeting but I work that Wed night but hopefully, may see many of you inperson in the near future.
Thanks!
floydismydog

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Debbie, I'm Susan. Good luck with your Ghia project and welcome! I think a lot of us suffer from that *shoulda kept this, shoulda done that* syndrome with previously owned VWs in former lives; I know I do. Embarassed

Good luck with the wrench guy. Others in the club will guide you there as I am lucky enough to have Mitch as my mechanic, although I've been known to call upon Sandals at extremely short notice to fix my hanging down thing.

Who is doing your beautification? Do we get to see pictures?

DDMorgan

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Susan,
At the moment it is at a shop having the brake lights figured out since there are none. I am having them put in a new relay, rear brakes (kinda tore as they were frozen), oil change, etc so it is operational to get to Classic VW Restoration so Sheldon can do his magic with it.
I can't wait to get it on the road again. Kinda like a kid in a candy store Smile. I don't know the time frame for the restoration but it can not be soon enough. I do need expert help to make sure it is road worthy. It is on its third motor and I am not sure how reliable it is. I need to have someone go through all of it and check tranny, motor, clutch, fix the vapor lock I tend to have at the worst times, etc. I am told it needs ball joints and of course, it leaves its spot. Once I have recovered from this restoration expense, I want to have a new motor put in. Currently it has a 1600. I have new interior, rubber, etc I have been collecting for 10 years. I can hardly wait!!!
DDMorgan

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all. I am new and am waiting in line to restore my Ghia. I finally got it back from a local mechanic shop. I asked them to get it road ready so I could drive it into Spokane for the restoration but they didn't do a lot of the things I asked. After 3 weeks I just went and got it. There appears to be a short so the brake lights are intermittently working. Well, I just wanted my car back home so I will just tow it into Spokane. They even put too much oil in although I was told they knew all about VWs so now I am debating if I need to redo the oil change so it will not blow the seals.

Anyway, the pics I took today uploaded. They are not pretty yet. I will get “after” pics sometime this summer. Hope to see you all on the road soon.
https://picasaweb.google.com/106982947941588246317?authkey=Gv1sRgCJaI18PRkILlnAE

Debbie
jestes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

DDMorgan wrote:
Hello all. My name is Debbie and I am restoring my 69 Ghia I have owned for 40 years. This was my car back in high school. (tells you how old I am). It was a daily driver off and on 50/50 this entire time. If I knew then what I know now, I would have taken better care of it. It is complete but worn and has those minor dents that come from young foolish drivers Smile.
The last time I drove it has been approx 10 years. It cranked right up but needs fine tuning. I am looking for a good mechanic to do various work on it to make it a reliable daily driver when I get it back from being beautified. My previous mechanic is now retired. Any suggestions?
I would attend the meeting but I work that Wed night but hopefully, may see many of you inperson in the near future.
Thanks!

I take mine to Hooks Automotive for things I can't do myself. He is on the corner of 8th and Dishman Raod.
750 South Dishman Road, Spokane Valley, WA
(509) 443-3517

http://57bugbuild.blogspot.com/
-------------------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: