River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Spring Meet 12'....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandals

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, I replaced these seals after the Rainier trip, as they were seeping just a little, and I was in there to re-torque the heads and re-seal the fuel pump and generator base. They were all leaking and making a mess. I just bring the nuts down to where they bottom out and give 'em a little snug. I think the torque spec on these is like five pounds or so.

Eric, the engine will be installed today. In my mind I recall tightening both sides a little at a time, like I have always done. But I suppose it's possible I went too far on one side before tightening the other. The new pair that I installed yesterday were done a little at a time. Should be OK now. Gonna go for a drive with it today to make sure it all looks good. Then I will proceed with the "filling the bus with crap"!
zoowgn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually its a good thing you had the oil leak. I fried a rebuild with only a little over 2000 miles on it when those seals melted into the holes. Turns out I was using a non-dog house block, with a dog-house fan and cooler set up. I used the standard dog-house seals and they were not right. They make a conversion seal for this app.

The Oil Cooler Seals

~~~

Rob advises - When buying new oil cooler seals, be sure to specify whether you have a doghouse cooler or not. The earlier in-shroud coolers are different, and there is even a special set to alter the earlier in-shroud cooler to doghouse cooler. The oil cooler seals are 'stepped' seals, not just simple 'O' rings. I think the "in shroud" cooler has only two seals. And I think there are three types -- not sure about that, but John Connolly (Aircooled.Net) has spoken in posts about 'you need the green ones for your car' and such.

Ps. I am a newby in msla.........
sandals

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I am glad it happened now, and not while climbing Vantage on Saturday afternoon.

My block is a late beetle factory replacement. It has the larger oil galleys for the doghouse cooler. I just screwed up somehow while replacing the seals.

Engine is back in the bus, and I just took it for a spin to make sure all is well. It started raining really hard so I didn't go for a long cruise, but I will do that later today or tomorrow just to make sure.

BTW, welcome to the site.
motofly196

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got the cooler sorted out! Almost looks like they got pinched in there or something. I'm always checking, and rechecking to make sure they don't slip before tightening...but it's not easy to see up in there with a doghouse mount. I think you're right...torque is really low, probably the reason for the 6 or 8mm nuts.

Scott
sandals

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaleb, what's the plan? It would work better for me to meet you at Eric's, but you're always late for everything. Do I need to come get you or can you promise to be @ Eric's by 10:00 or so? I need to go through CdA, and make a quick stop out in the valley on Sprague. Should be at Eric's @ 10:00 or earlier.
motofly196

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandals wrote:
Kaleb, what's the plan? It would work better for me to meet you at Eric's, but you're always late for everything.

Awwwww SNAP! Laughing
motofly196

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about bringing my propane grill, we can do burgers and dogs during the show. Mike mentioned the Hawaiian guys grilling out, and I think they are on the 1st floor or something. So my little propane deal shouldn't be an issue. Plus, I think it will be a nice change of pace to smell cooked meat vs. rich running VW's in the enclosed garage!!

Scott
sandals

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with Kaleb, he promises to be on time. Now, watch me have a brake down on the way and show up late. That would be awesome!

I think a little grill would be fantastic. I always see people doing that at shows, and I always forget to bring one.
sandals

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy, are we picking you up on the side of the road somewhere?
hubcapt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as I tell myself I need to be there by 9 I should make it by 10 Very Happy
sandals

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hubcapt wrote:
As long as I tell myself I need to be there by 9 I should make it by 10 Very Happy

Whatever it takes, man, whatever it takes. Laughing
Sam Cates

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been watching this topic for some time now, and it seems I have no idea what everyone is talking about. If its a road trip in a vw I am all in, if I can afford it. When and where is this swap meet?
sandals

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a dune buggy meet in Tuscaloosa Alabama. Two week road trip starts tomorrow. Should outta be a good one.

OK, not really. It's the Spring Meet in Bellevue, WA on Sunday. We are heading out tomorrow morning, and camping in Issaquah in the front yard of a guy we don't know. Then we go to a parking garage in a town we've never been, in hopes to buy parts from, and sell them too, complete strangers. Join us for all the fun, if you dare.
hubcapt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to put a positive spin on it Corey!

No wonder we drink...

Can't wait to drink!!
sandals

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard from the guy we don't know in Issaquah. He said he has a Westy that you and Wheezy could crash in, but if that is a little too risque' for you, there is a shop, or kitchen floor, or ? Bring tents if you want, but they are likely not necessary. There is always room under my bus, since it's nosebleed height.

We should just barely make it into the parking garage. Wheezy may have to take shotgun for that part of the trip. Kaleb is too skinny to make the bus drop an appreciable amount.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: