River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

My brakes or...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCWagar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: My brakes or...? Reply with quote

Coming home from Spokane Monday I noticed that when I braked, or downshifted approaching a light, my 71 Bay started to feel like it was being rocked from the outside somewhat back and forth in the rear.

It drove/rode well, as she always does, but when slowing down or applying brake pressure it started to sway back and forth a little in the rear end. To me it felt as though the rear left brake was goofy, and at one time a guy in front of me stopped suddenly and I slowed quickly, but the left rear tire locked a little.

So I got it home to Newport and pulled both back tires and thought..."What should I be looking for before I go further?" I can pull the drums and see what things look like under there, or I can put the tires back on and take it Sandpoint where I can let my mechanic troubleshoot and heal it.

So I am asking if it sounds like an obvious problem or do some of you know right off what it sounds like and what I should be looking for?

Thanks, again, in advance...the winter storage thread helped a lot and I have confidence on that, and now this...
sandals

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this. Not sure what the answer is. Have you talked with Mitch? Sometimes things like this can telegraph from one are of the vehicle, to make it seem like the problem is actually in another part of the vehicle. If you take the rear brakes apart for inspection, check that all the lugnuts are good and tight as you remove them, like lug nuts, etc. Inspect all of the connections on the rear suspension, and give a good look at brake components.

BTW, I was in your neighborhood recently, as I stopped to see Joel and Mercy. I'll be headed that way again in the next few weeks, I'd love to stop buy to say HI. I'll try to contact you before I head your direction.
JCWagar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have not called in Mitch yet.
But what I did do was take the back tires off, checked out connections and paid attention to tightness and loose things. After a few days I was thinking it was beyond my scope of diagnostics I put everything back together and drove her around and rode like she used to. I did not notice thing loose when I disassembled but all seem fine now.
She is about to go into storage but hard to let go really. Still not out of the woods as I am of the mind if it did it once, it may appear again..
Wonder if Mitch has "slow" or "down" time....
As always thanks for the advice and thoughts..
Mercy and Joel are great people. I taught both his daughters years ago..
sandals

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the last time Mitch had slow time, was around 1981.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: