River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Motor rebuild questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asesapie

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Motor rebuild questions Reply with quote

Alright I'm looking for some help I have a type 3 short block I want to rebuild for a back up for either my square or bus. Basically it came with 4 pistons in it but only 2 had cylinders no flywheel or pulley. I pulled the 2 cylinders of and put a pulley on the front and it turns free and smooth. The thrust bearing doesn't have any play in it either. Now the inside is kinda dirty looking probably cause it was sitting with out 2 cylinders for a while. I'm wondering how to tell the condition of the insides i.e. crank, cam and rods. Or where would be a good place to take it to have it checked out?
Asesapie

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think I'm going to try and just slap some new piston and cylinders on it and see if it will work for a good back up motor I guess well see.
ONEBADBUG

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't put it back together without taking it all the way apart. Any dirt will ruin it immediately. Besides, you need to know what's what inside. The only special tool you need might be an air gun to get the flywheel nut off. I can do that for you. Mark where all the part came from, especially the lifters. Use a paint pen, or make a cardboard thing to hold them.
You can find all the information you need on the samba.
Asesapie

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok if I take it apart and all pieces look good will I then have to get any machine work done to the block to be able to put it back together? Or will I be able to just clean it put it back together and use it?
ONEBADBUG

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF everything is good, which is unlikely, all you need is a gasket set and main seal.
motofly196

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I like the IF....I've never pulled a motor apart (Chevy or VW) that didn't need something. You can definately "slap" engines together...but you'll most definately be pulling it back apart REALLY soon. Most often due to catostrophic engine failure....in the 80-90's I didn't care....but now, even machine shops are having difficulty finding good core 1600 cases....

Scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: