River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
floydismydog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Bus Reply with quote

Haha take it for a drive too. The keys are in the ignition. I had to take it up and leave it last night as hub is out of town working all week. I left a message with Mitch and a note on the windshield. I don't think it is in bad shape for what I paid for it. Man that window van rag-top he has there is sweet!!!
floydismydog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess it will be awhile before I get my bus back, which is cool too. I know he will make it right and safe Smile Have you had a chance to check it out? There is a very nice older VW bug for sale in Spirit Lake. I didn't stop to check out the particulars but it looks worthy of a look.
sandals

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked at it, but not really closely. Trying to get his roof done before winter. Mitch runs a very busy shop. It does not surprise me that he may not get to your bus for awhile. It'll be worth the wait, though. He is a good guy and an excellent, honest mechanic.
floydismydog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: My Bus Reply with quote

Was great to meet you! I am so embarassed about the wheels Embarassed Hope we can make a deal on them. We had to go up to BF this morning and drove by and saw Mitch had it back in the shop. Smile Maybe I'll get it back sooner than I thought! Can't WAIT to bomb around the valley in it!
floydismydog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh I asked Mitch to fix the temperature gauge and come to find out there wasn't even an oil cooler in that bus. I thought originally I got a good deal on it but now I am not so sure. He is putting one in and I can pick it up Tuesday (would love to come to the swap meet but we are going fishing) and I still need some bus wheels. He is certainly a top notch technician and mechanic and a great guy. I like Linda a lot and that dog is cool, too.
sandals

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He drove it out of the shop for a test drive the other day, it sounded good. It is sitting inside right now.

I have not had a chance to dig through my pile-O-wheels for you yet, but I will let you know what I find. Will you be painting them or leaving them in original condition? I ask because I need to know what condition you are looking for.
floydismydog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I need 5 wheels. 4 to drive on and one for a spare. I think I'll buy Schwab tires, any recommendations?
sandals

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wherever you buy them, make sure to get a Light truck rating or a C or D rated 6-8 ply sidewall. Buses like tires with heavy sidewalls. Passenger car tires make them drive and handle like a worm.

They are more expensive, but worth the price. If you get some with a semi-off road tread and have them siped, you should not need studded snow tires. I prefer to stay far away from Les Schwab due to past bad experiences, but if they have what you need, and have treated you well, go for it. Look for something around 195R14 size. Or 205/75R14. They are getting harder to find with a heavier sidewall rating.
floydismydog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Tires Reply with quote

Bus runs great! I need wheels before I can buy tires. *whistles, looks at ceiling*. OH! I found the most fabulous body person! He's going to fix the front and the left rear over the air intake and I don't know what else for now. He's more or less a hobbyist. He does excellent work and he is an old VW fan.
Long-roofs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you can't find 14" wheels up there, I probably have a couple here in Spokane.

I think Corey asked if you wanted original paint ones or not? Are you going to paint them?
floydismydog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Wheels Reply with quote

Yeah, I think Cory might have a couple for me too if he can find them. Need them badly though so I can buy tires. We will be painting them and I don't want junk. I love this bus. Thanks!
sandals

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I have at least 2-3 (maybe more) that will fill the bill, but I have not had time during daylight hours to dig through my pile. If I can dance between the raindrops this weekend I will find what I have and let you know.
floydismydog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: wheels Reply with quote

You guys rock. Smile I know you have been busy. Thank you so much for helping to get my bus right. I love my bus.
floydismydog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Who wants to paint my bus? Reply with quote

Anyone want to give me a bid on painting my bus? It will theoretically be ready to shoot shortly, and I'm getting a couple of other bids. It is a '70 type II with a sunroof, dove blue (I think) with a white top. Thanks!
sandals

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your body guy doesn't shoot paint? I don't have any suggestions for you as I have never had a car painted around here, but maybe someone else on here will have a recommendation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: