River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Powder Coating Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Bill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Powder Coating Question Reply with quote

Howdy!

Has anyone tried a "Do It Yourself" powder coating kit? I see them at Harbor Freight and was wondering how well they work (If they work).

I don't know about everyone else but having professional powder coating done is way too expensive for my "Hobby" needs and budget. Shocked

Any advice would greatly be appreciated!
Smile
motofly196

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Eastwoods kit, but haven't used it yet. You'll need to get a dedicated oven for baking (electric), because once you use it for powder, you can't bake food in it again. I would stay away from Harbor Freight type stuff...Eastwood is the one to get. I bought it to do wheels, and small brackets and stuff. I have everything set up now, just haven't gotten to the "clean and paint" stage yet. Shocked They have a video on eastwood on how to use it (Youtube type). Check it out!

Scott
Mr. Bill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the reply Scott!

I checked out Eastwoods powder coat kit, it looks pretty cool

A dedicated oven? So THAT'S why I am so brain damaged! I never thought of an oven JUST for baking painting parts but looking at the video it makes sense as some of the powder coating appears to stick on the racks as well (The wife would kill me)!

As with most my projects, I often use the "Poor Man" approach and bake high heat paint on many parts in the oven (When Wifey is gone of course) and then air it out.

For anyone interested in powder coating wheels, Les Schwab sand blasts and powder coats them for about $25 a wheel. I took them up on this a couple years ago and am pleased with the results and the price.

Thanks again for the advice!
[/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: