River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

My new 2110cc street engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bad Bug Two

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: My new 2110cc street engine Reply with quote

I have had several different performance engines in my street bug over the years. ( 1775, 2213, 2276 & 1915.) Due to life in general I had succumbed to a stock 1600cc dual port for the last 6 years! (The only mod was a decent exhaust.) Well I finally was able to swing putting together a nice street engine again with the help of my good friend Rocky Jennings.

I took a different approach than I ever have before. All of my previous street engines were setup to redline around 8,000 to 8,500rpms. I typically used them for street/strip and didn’t mind revving them up all of the time. This time I went for torque. I wanted to have an engine that made its power from 2,500 to 4,500rpms. As it turned out, it pulls great from about 1,500 to 4,500rpms. My peak torque is at about 3350rpms and my peak hp is just under 4,600rpms.

Here are some chassis dyno numbers…

The stock engine put out 35hp and 53ft/lbs of torque.

The new engine puts out 82hp and 105ft/lbs of torque.

Since our Mustang dyno really loads engines heavily and makes for long pulls, you can see a time based comparison below of two third gear pulls that were both from 2500rpm to 4500rpm. Notice how the new engine only makes about twice the power, but accelerates almost four times faster! With all of the bottom end torque, it really feels very powerful on the street!

Just for clarification… the top line is the torque of the new engine, the next line is the hp, the third line is the torque of the stock engine and the last is the hp.

Hopefully this will be the last engine I build for my bug as I really am enjoying it! The only mod I intend, someday if I can afford it, is to go with EFI and COP.

Cool

ONEBADBUG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just the opposite of you, all I have ever made is engines with huge torque, so I can just put it in 4th at 30 mph. My autocross engine made 108 hp at the wheels, and torque was something like 130 almost flat from 2000 to my 5400 rev limiter. I think it would be fun to build an engine that revved like crazy, but what would I put it in?
Bad Bug Two

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONEBADBUG wrote:
I think it would be fun to build an engine that revved like crazy, but what would I put it in?

Build a drag car! Twisted Evil Before I dropped cam size in my race car, it didn't even come on until 7K and would rev to over 9k, although I would usually shift it at 8,800rpms.

Cool

Bad Bug Two

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONEBADBUG wrote:
My autocross engine made 108 hp at the wheels, and torque was something like 130 almost flat from 2000 to my 5400 rev limiter.

What are the specs on the engine? Nice numbers, whose dyno did you get those numbers from?

Cool

ONEBADBUG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drag racing is not my thing, my favorite part when I ran the autocross car a few times was taking the return road without slowing down.

I don't remember all the details, it is 78 x94, really high compression- like 15 to 1 or something. engle cam designed for mid range, lots of lift but realistic duration. cb big valve heads. dellorto 45's? is that their biggest? dry sump. no fan or alternator.
Bad Bug Two

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun!

Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: