River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Winter Projects
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hubcapt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What color combo you going to go Dano?

Spent more time on the bumper mounts last night, found out there's a difference between early and late style mounts.... Then while I was trying to lign everything up before welding found out my rear bumper has front bumper brackets....
Asesapie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm staying with the same color combo of the white and orange. I just wanted to lay some real paint on this time instead of rattle can.

When were all done with out winter projects well all have to make a cruise of some sort to show off the hard winter work
Asesapie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are some pics of what the bus looks like now after the first fine sand, next is taking it to 120 grit to lay the first layer of primer.

hubcapt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I see the colors right there that you need to paint that bus Dano! They look good together

Well with all my "friends" bailing on me for breakfast I started working in the garage on the 65. Got the rear fenders back on and was able to bole the bumper up. Used the original blue fender welt on the body, man was that fun trying to put back in, stuff was as easy to work with as peanut brittle, think one fender has at least 6 sections of it.

Got the front bumper on as well today. Due some wiring later on this week then plate it, tag it and drive it!
motofly196

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kaleb...how did those bumper brackets go on? I was worried that the spot weld drill bit made holes that were too large. Was it hard to weld them up?

Scott
hubcapt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They weren't bad at all, the large holes actually gave me more area to weld, did at least three tacks inside each hole. Then tacked the entire outside edge of it, I want it to be pretty stout as I have a trailer I might try to make tow behind the bug that attaches to the brackets. Since the driverside mount was still there, just broke off bolts stuck in it I decided to just fix that side and not go through the entire process again. Was able to weld a bolt to the busted off bolt and remove it that way, the other one however didn't want to come out after 5 attempts at it. So I just cut it out, found a square fender nut and welded that in its place.
hubcapt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motofly196

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! I'm digging that license plate....you already register it to the bug??

Scott
hubcapt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

No, that's a 63 plate I threw on there while I drive it around the neighborhood, I have some other plates I believe are 65s I am going to try and license the bug with
Asesapie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work kaleb that bumper makes your buggy's rear end look real nice!
hubcapt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dano! Goal is to drive it to this Sundays Breakfast. I think we are still doing it at cheap shots? Well looks like its time to revive another thread!
Asesapie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i did some pretty good work in the last week i cut out some swiss cheese metal that was under my feet and welded in a new piece (first time ever welding). i then cleaned and metal eched my front and cargo floors and put POR-15 all over both so they are all protected and good now(just dusty from all the sanding today). and finally i attacked my roof with my sander today, all i have to say is i hate sanding the roof!! and the PO that painted this stupid crappy blue paint on there that is the biggest pain in the ass to get off.
here are some pics of the work done

hubcapt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice progress!! Doesn't look to bad for your first weld job, now that you've broken your cherry your going to see stuff all over your going to want to weld.

Trying to figure out your patch panel, what was its origins?

I just finished up for tonight in the garage, its been a good week here as well.
-new rear shocks
-new tires(thanks dan) mounted (thanks eric)
-headlights operational
-blinkers operational
-brake lights operational, have to re bleed them since I had to put on a new brake switch (some lucky friend is getting a call this weekend for some pedal pushing)
-re-installing the interior
-went to license it today with old Washington plates, the pair I have are for a 68 so the wouldn't let me

Looks like its all coming together to drive it Sunday
Asesapie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kaleb! The origins of my patch panel are from my original gas tank from my bus that sprang a leak. I had it still lying around and needed metal so I decided to use it.
hubcapt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Recycling at its best! Is this the same gas tank Stevie tried to weld up and it exploded on him, twice?

I aslo had to recycle some bus metal to get my bumper brackets on, I have one piece of donor that is the cut out from when a company made a panel into a camper. Also have some type 3 body metal I'm hanging onto as donor patches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: