River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

VW branches out to 2 wheelers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spectre_USA

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: VW branches out to 2 wheelers? Reply with quote

How cool is this?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/221814/vw_eyes_shock_motorbike_move.html

Quote:
VW eyes shock motorbike move
German giant gets in the saddle as it plans first-ever motorcycle.

Car giant Volkswagen is getting on its bike to produce this: its first-ever motorcycle.

The company is set to team up with Austrian motorbike manufacturer KTM to develop the two-wheeler. And our picture shows how the new machine is likely to look.

KTM’s first attempt at a road car, the track-biased X-Bow, was developed with help from VW’s engineers, and even makes use of the 2.0-litre turbo from the Audi TT. So tapping into KTM’s motorcycle know-how to build this bike is an ideal way to repay the favour!

The two-wheeler would pitch VW head-to-head with fellow German giant BMW, which is already established in the motorcycle industry.

But it’s not only the bike market that VW is looking to muscle in on: it sees potential in three wheels, too. Cast your mind back to the 2006 Los Angeles Motor Show, and you might recall the GX-3 concept. It now looks as though production of the firm’s wacky motorbike/car hybrid could be back on the agenda.

The vehicle stunned showgoers with a combination of space-age styling and top performance credentials, although bosses deemed the legal hurdles of selling the ‘trike’ as a motorcycle – and the damage that it could do to VW’s credibility as a car maker – too significant to give it the green light. However, they have now said that if the firm was to produce motorcycles as well as cars in the future, the GX-3 could justifiably make it to production.

And the three-wheeler could be just the vehicle driving enthusiasts of the future are looking for. As it has a lightweight chassis, a frugal 125bhp 1.6-litre engine would provide searing performance – and all this with the ground-hugging stance of a roadster and the manoeuvrability of a motorbike.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an MCN article. That's a crazy amount of photo shopping right there, I spy about 4 or 5 different manufacturers bikes on that one.
Spectre_USA

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as it is 100% photoshopped, I tend to agree! Very Happy

I think it needs more VW badges, tho...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Spectre, the bikes definatly needs more VW badges. Nice looking bike though. I would own one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: