River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

New member, and some questions about parts availability...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordank

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: New member, and some questions about parts availability... Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm originally from Australia, and now in CDA as of a bit more than a year ago. I have a 1964 Beetle back in Aus, and a 1958 Karman in CDA (purchased locally, was already restored).

I've been trying to find some places around that I could source some parts from. Any junkyards that have VWs around the Spokane/CDA area? Specifically, seems that the previous owner of my Ghia has removed the air flaps and thermostat from the doghouse shroud, and I want to find a set I can put back in. The motor is a 1600 dual port from a 1971 beetle.

Any and all help/advice are greatly appreciated!

cheers,
Jordan, CDA

1958 Karmann Ghia
1957 Beetle
jordank

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Previous owner? Reply with quote

Also,

The Ghia was purchased in Mica, WA in 2006. If anyone knows the previous owner, or is familiar with the vehicle, or who/when performed the work on it - I'd be interested in getting any info.

cheers,
Jordan

1958 Karmann Ghia
1957 Beetle
Sprø Norsk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts yards for aircooled vws around here are nearly non-existant. Lighthouse autoparts in spokane has a decent supply. I am not very familliar with the CDA area parts places.

Nice Low light
do you have any pictures of your 64? I assume is is aussie spec.
Long-roofs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used parts for Beetles and Buses....not much for Ghias. I may have some fan shroud flaps/linkage.

Mitch at The Shop in Sandpoint has used parts.

Eric 509-893-9562 Spokane Valley
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: New member, and some questions about parts availability... Reply with quote

That's Charlies old ghia (can't remember his last name at the moment). He was the original owner and had it redone like it is now. He always brought to our show. He went blind and then his son would bring him and the car to the show a few more years. His son brought it out again after his dad passed away, and he said that he might sell it, been a year or two since I've seen it, didn't know he actually sold it.
ARR #3
jordank

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy, thanks for the info!

The car is extremely well restored, thought it had fallen into some disrepair in terms of the running gear and mechanical.

since i've had it i've overhauled the brakes, fixed up a bunch of small electrical issues, and am going through a full-flow oil install right now. ( I did end up sourcing the air flaps and linkage on thesamba.com, and those went in last night.... VERY fiddly to get everything to align properly...)

If all goes well - should be done in a week or so, I'll try to bring it out as soon as the weather permits.

1958 Karmann Ghia
1957 Beetle
grim reaper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordank wrote:

The car is extremely well restored

restored with flared wheel wells would not be considered restored well IMO
jordank

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is definitely not stock, though it could be much worse.... it could be powered by a rotary...

I was referring to the quality of the body work, mostly, at least from what I've seen. It looks like the whole shell has been dipped, and every panel sprayed with anti corrosive from the inside (where accessible). Things align very well...

The mechanics were not too flash, but that's what i've been working on... brake overhaul, some engine work, some electrics... etc.

Ultimately, I'm not a full purist, it's about right for what I wanted ... Very Happy

1958 Karmann Ghia
1957 Beetle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: