River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

car dies (won't idle when comes to a stop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDMorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: car dies (won't idle when comes to a stop Reply with quote

I though I saw this answer here but I will post or repost it. My car regularly dies whenever I come to a stop. I need to get it to Spokane (25 minutes away) but would like to resolve this before having to try to make it into town. I am getting good at holding the brake and giving it gas at the same time! I adjusted the idle a little but it still has the problem everytime. What causes this? Is it an easy fix? Even temporarily? If it is easy, anyone near Cheney willing to help?
Thanks.
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: car dies (won't idle when comes to a stop Reply with quote

Could be a minor tuning issue, or more than likely a heat riser issue (plugged or missing parts)
ARR #3
Sam Cates

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of car are we talking?
DDMorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Cates wrote:
What kind of car are we talking?

69 Ghia 1600 probably original style carb, etc.
Asesapie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the idle jet it could be plugged. A friend also once had his electric fuel solenoid stop working and the car wouldn't idle once it came off choke.
Sam Cates

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thorough carb cleaning should do the trick. If you are careful and depending on which carb you have, you may be able to reuse the gaskets until you have a chance to get a new set. I know they aren't always readily available and may take a few days to arrive if they are ordered.

A can of carb cleaner, a few hand tools, and a gasket set is all you should need.

When I started driving my '66 Bug, the fuel tank was so rotten and rusted, even after I cleaned it, I would get crud in my lines every time I fueled up. Went through 7 filters before I decided to get a cleanable glass filter. Even now I get a little in there. some of the smaller stuff would make it past the filter and get into the bowl, then into the jets. Had to pull the carb apart roadside numerous times.
DDMorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise but I am not a car repair person. Mechanics is beyond me. I decided I am going to try to get it into Spokane and put it in the shop at Hook's and have him go through it all. The reason I parked it in the first place 10 years ago is because of the constant problems with the mechanics. I will find someone to follow me in and hope for the best. Then maybe you will see me zipping around town.
Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: