River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Winter storage for the Bay...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCWagar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Winter storage for the Bay... Reply with quote

All right friends. Seems like every Wednesday when I try to make a meeting from Newport something comes up so instead of discussing such things, here is this post. A neighbor is going to let me store my 71 Bay in a covered garage, cement floor, for the winter months.

What is missing or what really is not necessary?
1. Jack it up and have four jack stands underneath for relief on the tires...
2. Disconnect and remove the battery...
3. Fill tank and put correct amount of stabilizer in the tank and run it all the way through...
4. Put steel wool in the tail pipe and any other places mice may want to explore...
5. Considering covering it with a breathable fabric as well...
6. Empty the carb?

How many of you store yours and how many run them all winter long? Just curious. I have read The Samba threads on such, but wanted some words closer to home...

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom.
motofly196

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I do when I put the boat in storage for the winter is use Fogging Oil in the cylinders. You can follow the directions and spray it in the carb until the engine dies, but I like to take out the plugs, and spray it directly into the cylinders, and bump the starter a few times to let the engine cycle, then re-install the plugs.

Scott
sandals

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worked in a marina in a past life, I say if you don't plan to touch it all winter, use fogging oil. Just run it till warm, raise the RPM's with the throttle lever, and pour or spray fogging oil into the carb til the bus sounds like it's gonna puke and it's smokin' like Cheech and Chong. Then turn it off (or let it die on it's own) and pull the battery for the winter. It'll smoke a lot when you fire it up again in April, but the insides will be happy.

Leave the float bowl full of fuel if you use fuel stabilizer (definitely use fuel stabilizer), and try to get non-ethanol premium fuel if you can. It's available in a couple of places in Sandpoint, not sure about Newport. If you must use ethanol blended fuel, get a product called Star Tron fuel stabilizer that is intended for ethanol. Add the recommended amount to your full tank, run for few minutes, and let it be for the winter.

If you have easy access to the bus during the winter months, consider just removing the battery and plan to stop by every 4-6 weeks, say hello to your bus, hook up that nice warm battery you have kept tucked in at home, and fire up the bus for 15-20 minutes. That will keep the internals lubed (that is what the fogging oil does in the absence of regular oil splashing) and the valve train exercised. Some say to remove the rocker arms for long term storage so that there is no pressure on the valve springs. Not sure if it really matters in a stock engine. Be certain to do the fuel additive thing, whichever hibernation process you choose for the engine.

The other things you mention seem to be spot on. If you can, and don't mind the smell, consider placing a few moth balls around and under the bus while in storage. The smell keeps the mice away. If the garage is in good shape with good ventilation and it doesn't leak, just use a few old bed sheets to keep dust off the bus. If there is any possibility of some moisture buildup in the garage air during the winter, either leave it uncovered or get a good quality breathable cover. It's really only there for cleanliness, but it can cause problems if there is excess moisture built up.

Hope this helps.
JCWagar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, my wise friends have sage advice...

I have heard that sea foam is better than stabilizer, but unpracticed with such so was going to stay with what I know.
Yeah I am thinking of hibernating her until March or whenever the snow and ice are done for good.
Maybe before November trying her for a Seattle run to see my brother.

I wonder how many around here store such VW and how many drive them through the winter as well. My tears would melt snow banks if anything happened to her, so going to play it safe.

Again. thanks for the help.
Long-roofs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the 30 day rule when storing a running/driving car, every 30 days, start it, move it 30 feet. I disconnect my batterys if sitting more than a week.
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aggh you light weights, cars are meant to drive. If the roads are clear of snow then I am out there. I will admit I live in Cheney and they do a excellent job of clearing the roads. If I lived on the south hill I would put my car away for the winter. Volkswagon heaters are great when working properly. My advice drive during the winter so you can keep the big smile on your face year round!
sandals

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent many years driving air cooled VW's year round, and now I drive a Toyota. It has little to do with heat, though that can be an issue. It has more to do with the fact that Idaho now salts the roads, and my VW's are already rusty enough. Plus, as is likely evident on any given road on any given snowy day, other drivers are idiots. I don't want to get hit by one and ruin my bus, or my legs. Or any other part of me. I do a pretty good job of doing that to myself, I don't need the help from a cell phone talking, latte drinking, kids screaming soccer mom in a hurry to dance class and tuba practice.

That, and I really like to have the heat on full blast with the window open while it's snowing and blowing outside.
floydismydog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Winter Storage Reply with quote

My bus will be going to the body shop in Sandpoint pretty soon for the winter. Can you say separation anxiety? Where do you get the *good gas* in town, Corey? I'll pass these tips along to Richard my body guy. See some of you tomorrow on Pumpkin Run. Smile
floydismydog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Winter Storage Reply with quote

PS My *other car* is also a 4wd Toyota pickup. It's the 3rd one I've had.
sandals

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get good gas at any of the lovely eating establishments in town, specifically the ones with hand painted signs advertising "good eats".

For my chainsaw, I buy non-ethanol premium at Co-Op, or at the shell station on HI 200 in Ponderay. Both have non-ethanol premium.
JCWagar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and this is why I love this group...
great advice, different perspectives...
Really I fear what Corey does, some kid or ass not paying attention hitting my bus.
Thanks again guys/gals for the help... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: