River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

irs conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
68 beetle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: irs conversion Reply with quote

Does anybody have any advice on switching my 68 bug from swing to irs. I'm thinking about doing it but was wondering if anyone knows the best way to get the parts i need and mayby any technical info that might help. it's stripped to the bone and needs a new transaxle so know would be the time. any advice would be good advice. pros and cons would be helpfull too. I've seen some kits that claim to come with everything. but this is un treaded territory for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am prety sure they did a story on that a while back in Hot VW's, also Airkewld is doing it for there Sema show car this year. http://airkewld-2012-sema-project.posterous.com/irs-conversion-has-begun
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: irs conversion Reply with quote

You need the trans and all the rear suspension parts from a 69 up beetle, plus some weld in trailing arm pivots (need to be cut and welded in place), everything else just bolts in.
ARR #3
68 beetle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. I'll start seeing about getting my hands on the parts and give it shot. So far I'm finding that it will be worth the effort. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be an A%& here...but, why do you want to change to IRS? Are you going to be slamming the bug? This is a pretty big undertaking you're looking into...might be better to just keep it swing axle, and rebuild what you've got. By the time you source all your parts for the conversion, weld up the pivot points, and rebuild the IRS trans you'll be close to double the costs of just rebuilding the swingaxle trans. Just my .02...there's nothing wrong with swing axles, especially on a 68'. If you want IRS that bad....just find a 69' bug, easy to find for Free in these parts!

Scott
68 beetle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for better handling. I haven't made a choice yet and thats why i posted this. I wanted to no the good and the bad. Before I figure out the transaxle issue I wanted some feed back. You are the person I hoped would chime in. Since I got your attention, are you apposed to keeping it a swing but going to coil over? Any knowledge is good knowledge in my book. it's not getting slammed it'll be more of a street to strip ride. A little bigger tire in the back than the front. I just don't wanna over look anything. She was my first car 14 years ago and I enjoyed the hell out of driving it, and I want to do it right down to the last bolt.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, for me...from a cost standpoint, I'd keep it stock (swingaxle). Because once you personalize a vehicle...you are making it yours. If you ever plan on selling it (sounds like you don't, after owning it 14 years)...the possibility of finding another guy who has to "have" a 68' IRS beetle...is slim.
Doing a car right to the last bolt is gonna cost some serious coin. I've driven both swing and IRS...my wife's 74' std beetle will haul some butt on the freeway. I'm talking 70+ on the freeway, cruisin'. When driving it...I need to remind myself...that I'm still in a bug it rides that nice. But my older VW's, you know you're in a beetle...handling wise.
If you're asking performance suspension questions, Troy would be the knowledgable expert here with Autocross and handling issues. But I don't think just adding stock IRS components are gonna cut it here. It all depends on what you want to do with it. Drag racing it would be the same, with suspension compression and rebound set to maximize traction on launch through aftermarket suspension componets.
Keep us posted on what you're doing with your car! My wife still has her high school car, which is also a 68' beetle. I personally like the tuck / \ you get from a lowered swing axle car (Kaleb refers to it as broken suspension). Laughing Which is what is gonna happen to her car Cool

Scott
68 beetle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feed back. I think I'm leaning towards stock again. I do know what you mean about feeling like your driving a bug. It was built that way in '68 so why change it right. The front was lowered the wrong way before and I will be returning it to stock so it would be good to keep the rear that way. If I can figure out how to post pictures i will. So far me and my son are having fun working on it and I cant wait to get it back on the road.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: