River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Stop me if you've heard this one before...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCWagar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Stop me if you've heard this one before... Reply with quote

So, I unplugged my 71 Bay window wiper squirters so that they work...Funny thing is that now the driver's side looks like it has sprung a leak, even when turned off and key OUT of bus it still looks like Old Faithful.
I admit my problems could be worse. But am taking the Bay to Seattle's Vintage gig this weekend and don't want to embarrass RCVC but peeing all the way there and on passer-bys at the show...
Suggestions?
motofly196

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh...you'll be empty by the time you hit Ritzville! Is there a way you can shove a screw in the line to stop the leak? I have no idea what Bay squirters look like though... Have you contacted Troy and Eric to see when they are headed over? Sounds like 9am on Friday. I really wanted to take my bus.....but 4th is going out, and I don't trust it that far. We are leaving early on Friday to do some school shopping in Seattle Shocked Well, it's a long weekend, guess if they can make it through the Vintage part....I can make it through the clothes shopping part. See you there! Look for my black Silverado though in the swap area.

Scott
JCWagar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. I had no idea others were going to go over for such. My fake reason is the Rangers Game on Saturday.
I hope Eric and Troy won't be too disappointed when I win the 57 Bug in the raffle.
Looking forward to the trip and show. My wife is freaked and is just nervous for the first long trip of our '71.
Going to go over Thursday after a few appointments in Spokane. Lucky for me I can flag the guys down if I need help..
motofly196

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really stoked you're going! I'll keep a look out for you, we'll be heading over early Friday morn. Get a good road kit together...tools, jumpers (if you haven't fixed that problem Laughing ) I carry fuel line, filters, extra fuel pump, carb, distributor cap, rotor, points, ect. And a good spare tire/ jack/ lug wrench. Maybe I'm too conservative...but I used to drive my bus 160 miles a day, sometimes more.

Scott
JCWagar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been thinking of what sort of road kit to put together. I don't think you can be too conservative really. But my repair skills are weak and still in the infantile stage. So one of my tools will be a credit card I hope not to have to use in transit.
You are way ahead of me on many things. Cables, plugs, tools, fire extinguisher is all so far but to ease my mind I like the idea of some of your suggestions.
Have you ever been to this Vintage thing before? Looks like quite the blow out and we are excited for such. Seattle weather is 70* and maybe some rain that day. But who cares. Excited to see how the other half lives. Crappy thing is no radio at all yet in our bus so hoping to steal some ideas in Seattle for a hook up idea or two..
Guess we will have to talk on the way over.. Shocked
Long-roofs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The saying was always, 'A true hotrod is never finished, and no radio allowed'...that being said, nothing like a 5 hour Bus drive with no radio, being one with the engine.

The Vintage Meet is a good one, lots to see, parts to find and Seattle weather. I will have an extra carb., dist., many other parts, if it moves, I will have it on the trip.
JCWagar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eric. I am glad and humbled when you guys baby sit me as I try out my training wheels and it is greatly appreciated.
Do you and Troy enter your VW's or just check the others out??
Glad the RCVC will be represented well.
Five hours? How fast do you think I am going? Laughing
motofly196

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a true hot rod guy....so none of my cars have a radio....but I'm also a musician (well...a closet musician!) so I need something to keep me sane. I just pack up a battery operated radio...half of the trip you'll get no reception anyways, maybe I'll step up someday and figure out this Ipod thing!
Last year Troy entered his bus and won! But he told me today that he's driving the camper to sell.... I'm a swap meet only guy, plus the Silverado won't fit in with the other cars. Laughing The guys at the gate kinda rolled their eyes when my boat came through the gate. If you have problems call my cell (I'm PM'ng you my number) We'll be behind you a few hours, so don't be too quick to whip out the credit card!! Like Eric said, as long as you haven't broken anything vital, VW's are easy to get up and running again. I'm throwing my VW road kit in my truck just in case. I keep mine in an old Army bag, so I can switch it from vehicle to vehicle easier.

Scott
JCWagar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys rock.
I have swallowed the admission that I am taking baby steps when I am learning about my 71 Bay.
Gathering appropriate tools and pieces as I go and delve into the world of Bus engines more and more.
First swap meet/shop meet I will be at and have a few things on my list...One of them should be a good rebuilt carb.
I will take other advice of possible things I should be looking for as well. As I said, starting out at age 45 and am learning from the Masters of VW as I go.
Always Always Always appreciated the help I get from my betters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: