River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
floydismydog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: New Member Reply with quote

HI. I am new. I just bought a 1970 bus. It runs, it needs minor (?) body work before it can be painted. Has no rust. Hoping for some some recommendations here. I have had VW's before; a crew cab pickup, a couple of old beetles, a '69 convertible with that funky automatic transmission, another old van. I ordered both the manuals. I am very excited about my bus! Very Happy
Sprø Norsk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Smile Welcome. Do you have pictures?
floydismydog

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. But I can't figure out how to post them. Sad[/img]
michaelp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Posting images Reply with quote

Just hit the Img button and it will make in brackets "[img]" before you enter your url where your picture is kept. After you enter the address hit Img button again and "[/img]" will appear.

Sample: "[img]" http://www.mypictures.com/thepicture.jpg"[/img]"

Hope that helps

Laughing

floydismydog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have a web site to post the pictures but thanks! It's nothing special, it's just a '70 Bus with a sunroof. It needs some body work (help me; what do you do, do your own?) she has minimal rust. And some brake work. The books I ordered should be in the mail tomorrow when I get home from getting plates for it. She is a strong runner though! [/img]
19bay70

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: new member Reply with quote

I also have a 1970 sunroof, bus anyway, have any pictures? where you from?
ONEBADBUG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your dog really named Floyd?
Sprø Norsk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.photobucket.com Wink
floydismydog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying the photobucket but my pics won't DL. Sad Yes my dog is named Floyd and he is a good good dog. He already knows *get in the bus*
floydismydog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELP! I was told that this bus was a '70 but it's listed as a '72 on the title which I found out when I called in to insure it. Where can I find the VIN on this bus?
ONEBADBUG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a 72, there wil be a tag on the dash lower right hand side, that you read from the outside looking through the windshield. If it's a 70, it will be stamped in the engine compartment, can't remember exactly where.
Go to the samba and look in FAQ. The repair will tell you also. But easiest of all, if the engine looks like a beetle, it is 71 or older.
floydismydog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I went into get plates for it today and the dumb ass had given me the wrong title. One for a squareback he had for sale too. VIN numbers on Bill of Sale and title did not match. I reckon we'll get it sorted out sooner or later. I'm sure it's a '70 now! Where do I get my body work done? (Private messages are welcome)!
sandals

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up in Sandpoint. You're not far from me. I would love to meet you and check out your bus. If it is original paint with only a little rust, you may consider not having it repainted. Sometimes keeping the original paint is the better thing to do.

I don't have a recommendation on a body guy, as there are very few body shops that are interested in anything other than insurance work. You're going to have to find someone who works out of their own garage or small shop that is willing to take it on.
floydismydog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Stupid question from the newbie Reply with quote

Can I assume that since my speedometer cable is broke, the odometer is also not working? Or do the two not correlate? My bus is up at The Shop in Sandpoint getting a tune up, brakes, valve adjustment, oil change and (horrors) hoping to get the wiring fixed so all the lights work and I'm safe to drive. Gee it's such a fun bus to bomb around in!!! I have not driven a VW with a REAL tranny since 1977 maybe? My last one was a '69 rag-top with that weird automatic tranny. But it's just like riding a bike. Smile isn't it?
sandals

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if that was your bus sitting at the shop. I am working on Mitch's house roof. The bus looks good, Sunroof deluxe, and it's in pretty good shape. Not sure if I would repaint it or just try to buff that paint. I'll look closer at it later today as I am just home for lunch. I will be walking past it several dozen times this week so I should be able to get a closer look at the paint. Wink

The speedo cable operates your odometer, too. So fixing that cable (if that is the problem) should fix both gauges.

I have not called you yet, but maybe we will get to meet in person at Mitch's shop soon. Looking froward to meeting you and discussing the merits of your bus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: