River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Clutch troubles--Help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bajumbug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Clutch troubles--Help? Reply with quote

First of all----is this the right place to call out for help from the community, or is thre a more appropriate place? I have a '66 baja I'm trying to get going, and having trouble with the clutch. The engine starts up OK, but when I put it into gear the clutch starts screaming like crazy--sounds kind of like a really upset goose. New clutch disc and two different pressure plates. I turned the nut on the back end of the clutch cable counterclockwise but it doesn't seem to help. In fact, it's now a little hard to get into first gear so I guess I went the wrong way. Is that going to be my answer, or should I do what a guy here in Omak told me "Shim the Flywheel" I was not aware of that. When I got this engine, it had was in an automatic car. I switched out the tourque converter and put the flywheel from my other engine in it's place. (tourqued to 200 ft lbs) Is that where my problem is, or is it in the clutch adjustment?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's making noise just when you push the clutch pedal ,it's probally some thing wrong with your throw out bearing . has the car had a 12 volt flywheel in it before ?the 12 volt fly wheel is bigger than the 6 volt flywheel that was in a 66 originally

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't think it's the throwout bearing, it happens while the clutch is not depressed, and does not go away when I push the clutch. The only way to make it stop is turn off the engine, then it does not happen again when re-started until I engage the cluthc once

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This engine came out of a 1968

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the perfect place to ask advice!! Anytime you change flywheels, or torque converters for that matter, you're going to need to re-set endplay (the amount of play that the crank moves in the bearing. If you have the "idiot" book it explains it in there ....(In hippy speak), but if you have a manual it will explain it in detail. Basically, you want to set the amount of "Play" the crank can move. Too much play, and the bearing is moving around doing damage. Too little play, and the engine will be hard to turn over, or may not turn over at all. It's easy to do, and very necessary. Lots of threads on Samba....but stick to the manuals instead of "hear-say"!!! Good luck, keep us posted!

Scott
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Clutch troubles--Help? Reply with quote

As said when changing the flywheel you need to set the endplay, but not to specs, but to what it was with the original flywheel that you are replacing (need to measure the endplay before you remove). The reason for this is the main bearing may have some play due to thrust wear, if you set the endplay to spec and there is thrust wear, the engine can lock up.

Couple possible causes for the noise:
Wrong preasure plate for TO bearing (you need a 67-70 200mm with a collar/ring)
Bell housing no clearanced enough for a 200mm flywheel.
Fan rubbing inside the shroud (take fan belt off to check)

You didn't say what flywheel you put on the autostick engine, or if your car was still 6volt 180mm or had been converted to 12 volt 200mm allready.

Also 200lbs is not enough torque on the glandnut, stock is 217min

ARR #3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: