River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

79 bay bus engine/parts for sale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmerge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: 79 bay bus engine/parts for sale Reply with quote

79 bus engine for sale. partially dismantled. I believe all the ancillaries are there. make offer
VWbusingiton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still have this engine?
bmerge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: 79 bus engine Reply with quote

Yes, still have it. I bought the bus for the transaxle and the engine plus parts were inside. The kid had one of the heads repaired and was going to put it back together but never got around to it. The dad wanted it out of his drive so I purchased it all. The kid obviously thought it would run again.....it's clean....but I have no idea of how many miles are on it. There are some new parts.....can't vouch for the quality of the head job but I don't think it's very good. You can take a look at it. I was going to do a type 4 to a type 2 conversion because of the 2 liter rod and crank but have decided to go with an oxyboxer conversion instead.

Brian
VWbusingiton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1977 type 2. Is the conversion complicated?
VWbusingiton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1977 type 2. Is the conversion complicated?
bmerge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Type 4 vs.Oxyboxer conversion. Reply with quote

What I didn't tell you, was that I was putting this into a 70 type 2. So we're talking about 2 different conversions actually. Taking the type 4 2 liter rods and crank plus the type 4 case and making an upright fan engine.....lots of tin work modification plus different engine supports. The type 25 or oxyboxer conversion takes a boxer case and modifies it by machining off the water jackets to basically give you a type 2 case. The benefits are numerous......aluminum case from germany, full flow built in, larger sump, and it will accept many type 2 parts including crank and rods. You wouldn't need anything other than this 2 liter engine in my garage to get some HP/torque.

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: