River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

engine overhaul 67 bug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mercedes1947

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: engine overhaul 67 bug Reply with quote

My recently purchased 67 beetle needs some engine work. Might need an overhaul or a rebuild. I live in King and Snohomish County area. Hoping to hook up with a mechanic in this area. Work from home or otherwise. Can you help point me in the direction of a reputable mechanic who will do good work for a reasonable rate.

I have checked out Buttera in Bothell. They want $98.50 to look at it. I am willing to pay, but I haven't a clue what - say an entire rebuild including carbuerator work would run.

The car is sound otherwise, good body, new interior, tires etc. She just is leaking or blowing oil massively and the engine has not been seen to for a great while.

Thanks for your help.
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: engine overhaul 67 bug Reply with quote

You are 300 miles from us, we are in Spokane. I can recomend, Northwest Connecting Rod in Kent/Renton, Ovals Motorsport in Federalway and John with Vintage Vee Dub in Port Orchard. If you want someone over here, PM me.
ARR #3
amonduell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but if you flat out say to a reputable VW mechanic that the engine's leaking oil, they shouldn't charge you nearly $100 just to look at it, but simply charge you to fix it. Unless $98.50 is applied to the actual repair cost.
mercedes1947

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both respondees.
amonduell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACVW's are pretty easy to troubleshoot...if you can tell us the pertinent details, I (we'll) be eager to accept the diagnostic challenge:

What's it sound like when it's running?
Is it smoking bad?
Is the leak coming from a blown gasket, or anywhere that you can see?

Of course, don't try and start it if it's on the verge of disintrigating or could do something dangerous like throwing a rod, soaking oil on components that can be damaged, spitting oil in your face, catching on fire or that sort of thing.

Certainly you'll see a mechanic anyway, but it's always a plus when you approach them like you have somewhat pinpointed the dilemma, as opposed to implying you're clueless & (heaven forbid) giving an unknown repair facility an opportunity to take advantage of your cashflow. Best bet so far: follow Troy's recommendation for shops in your area & that shouldn't happen.
mercedes1947

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Amonduell. At first the engine turned right over. When it is cold it seems to surge and then almost stall and then surge until it gets warmed up. It is running rough I would say. It uses a quart of oil about every 40 miles. Of course I don't drive when I learned that.

I bought it because except for the engine it is in nice shape. A friend looked at the engine after I bought it and pointed out the oil leakage. He said oil goes in two directions in a VW bug engine, and it looked like only one half of the engine was getting oil. I had to drive it Sunday night to re-park it where it could sit safely. It stopped running, no big noises or anything like a blown rod. Just like it wasn't getting gas although the tank was full. It just decided I am not going to turn over.

My friend followed me. He said it was smoking. Not easy to tell if smoke was coming from the exhaust or from the leaking oil burning off the engine.

This is just a great help. I am waiting until I know more before choosing a mechanic. I do have the recommends from this site to fall back on although they are on the south side, quite a ways to tow it. But if I can't find someone I trust local I can rent a tow unit. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: