River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Who works on Bugs in CDA?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeyj007

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it was a task but going from "we'll take a look at it" to suddenly being at nine hours of labor without letting me know and still needing two more hours is definitely a communication problem. Had I know it would cost anything near that much I could have bought 5 wiring harnesses and redone it with a friends help. I guess I had imagined that they would take a look at it, know how it should be and be able to fix it in under four or five hours.

But that's what happens when you assume. Live and learn. In the future I'll ask for a written estimate in advance and ask them to call me if it goes over that amount. Kind of like the big posters they have hanging behind the front desk.
Lowdowndub

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd avoid European Machine in CDA for anything air-cooled. I've taken vehicles there for years and been satisfied less then half the time. They've left tools in my engine compartment and avoided many issues that I've specifically asked them to look at.

The owner (we all know his name) seems to have given up on the A-C cars and only wants to work on cars that you can plug a computer into to find out whats wrong.

Latest problem, I installed new Baby dells on my square and took it to Euro to fine tune. After 5 hour; or so they say, the owner and one of his mechanics couldn't figure out why it had no top-end and they gave-up, I could barley drive it home even though I drove it there.

After 20 minutes at home I found that one of the main jets was clogged!! 20 MINUTES!!! Cleaned it and WOW, runs great.

From now on... it's me, a Bentley and The Samba. And if that doesn't work, then the only person working on my square will be Mitch at The Shop in Sandpoint. He's truly an amazing mechanic and great guy.
floydismydog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my 70 Bus back from Mitch today. It had been sitting for several years and he brought it up to snuff mechanically, brakewise, and wiring wise. He is a super tech, and a nice honest guy. His prices are fair. He answers my questions.
rksvw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I am Rick and have been an air cooled mechanic for over 30 years. Use to work at VW dealer that was in Spokane when I lived here over 20 years ago. I have just moved back from So CA to Athol. I had a business in So Ca for 22 years, and also a mobile business that I took to Glamis for sand buggies for 15 years. If you would like to talk or need help you can call our shop in Athol, (208) 561-5031. I have been restoring air cooled bugs since I moved back to the area and trying to establish a business for those who have air cooled bugs. I am VW certified.
Lowdowndub

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowdowndub wrote:
I'd avoid European Machine in CDA for anything air-cooled. I've taken vehicles there for years and been satisfied less then half the time. They've left tools in my engine compartment and avoided many issues that I've specifically asked them to look at.

The owner (we all know his name) seems to have given up on the A-C cars and only wants to work on cars that you can plug a computer into to find out whats wrong.

Latest problem, I installed new Baby dells on my square and took it to Euro to fine tune. After 5 hour; or so they say, the owner and one of his mechanics couldn't figure out why it had no top-end and they gave-up, I could barley drive it home even though I drove it there.

After 20 minutes at home I found that one of the main jets was clogged!! 20 MINUTES!!! Cleaned it and WOW, runs great.

From now on... it's me, a Bentley and The Samba. And if that doesn't work, then the only person working on my square will be Mitch at The Shop in Sandpoint. He's truly an amazing mechanic and great guy.

In fairness to European Machine they DID NOT CHARGE me for the initial carb sync and an attempt at timing. (Approx. 1 hr.) and I don't have a personal problem with them. I just think if your going to charge a $75/hr. shop rate, you should make more effort to make sure you have a satisfied customer. And this wasn't the only instance where I left Euro Machine disappointed and went home and figured out the problem myself.
fender57vneck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve at Master Lube Post Falls does all my work. I highly recommend him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: