River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Welding on an old floor pan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
youngm357

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Welding on an old floor pan Reply with quote

I have the traditional quarter sized hole in my battery tray on my 64 bug. I want to patch it as the pan is original with zero rust. I bought the right rear quarter floor pan section and just got it. I went to a couple of welding/fab shops and was given an estimate at 4-5 hours @ $50/hour. Seems fair. I then went to NW Paint in Post Falls at the recommendation of a club member where the guy got under the car and poked around. His conclusion was that I should cut out the affected area, fit a piece of the new section over the top and glue it in with "panel adhesive". He said that welding on the floor pan creates a lot of heat and would probably weaken entire area based on the age. I'm guessing he would not turn away a job (even a small one) unless he was concerned about how it would turn out. Opinions? Ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting I know that floor pans in worse shape have been welded with no problems. I have welded panels on bugs and buses and had no ill effects. As long as the metal around the bad area is prepared right and in good shape you can weld it!
85 Golf GTI
97 Jetta
2008 Rabbit
hubcapt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weld away my friend!!

Of course, this coming from a guy that bought a welder only a year ago, and used to use street signs and self tapping screws to fix floor pans Embarassed ....
skeeter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy at NW paint apparently doesn't know how to weld.
The new adhesives available would do just fine but there's nothing wrong with welding and done right it would most likely be stronger.

Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Welding on an old floor pan Reply with quote

The glue in repair would be fine and last forever, but you would see it from underneath (if that maters to you), would be unaceptable to me. Your car is too nice for that kind of repair, it needs to be butt welded in and finished on both sides. You may see if Eric (Longroofs on here) could fit you in to do it for you.
ARR #3
CDA Racer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen Todd(NW Paint) use the glue on chevy blazer floor boards, I have watched him WELD the ass-end of a rusted out 60's mustang back together. If he thought that glue would be better for your bug then he was giving his opinion. If you want it welded in I can do it for you. At the meeting you talked about preping the car by removing as much stuff that is in the way as possible. If you want to do that I can do the welding at my shop in CDA. You can call me at 208-964-1615
John Vick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: