River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Bad Oil Leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
74super

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Bad Oil Leak Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm currently having oil leak problems. I assumed it was my oil cooler but found it to be o.k.
I have my 1600dp pulled and don't know where to start next.
can anyone out there point me into the right direction. Do I just start tearing everything apart ?
Is there a good vw mechanic to ask for assistance ?

thanks Scott
Bucky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey scott, If you've already counted out the oil Cooler, doesn't that mean you've already torn into things. If not where does the oil seem to be coming from. A leaking oil cooler will drip down on the drivers side through the push rod tubs. Other likely spots where leaks occur are the push rod tube seals (either side of the engine), the front main seal (transmissions end of the engine), and of course the valve covers. If the engines out of the car already it may be easy to find the leak. The valve covers are easy to check for leaks. I'm assuming thats not the leak or you would know already and wouldn't have posted this problem. If your engine is all mucked up around the drivers side push rod tubs it can be hard to figure out if the tube seals or the cooler seals are the problem. if its mucked up around the passanger side push rod tubes, its most likely, but not for sure one or more of the push rod tube seals on that side. If you see drips where the engine and tranny meet it most likely your front main seal. Give me a little more info and I will throw out any more Ideas I have to truly narrow it down. take your time and have a good look at things, Bucky
74super

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should just go thru and replace all the seals since I have it out.
The oil cooler seals, main crankcase seal and push rod tube seals.
I haven't found the leak yet, still cleaning everything.

thanks for the response.
Bucky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be a pain to change the push rod tube seals. to do it right you have to pull the heads. they do have those spring loaded tubes , but you have to take off the rocker arms and pull the push rods out. Taking the flywheel off and getting it back on, to the right torque can be a bear. Its also important to mark it in relationship to the crank. Replacing the cooler seals isn't to bad. A Mechanic would want a pretty pennie to do any of these relatively easy things. Replacing all of those seals would assure no more leaks. by the way I'm no mechanic, but have had these problems before. If you need to bounce any more off someone reply, I've been checking the forum everyday lately. (like I don't have enough work to do no my own VWs). Bucky
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: