River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Electrical Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carl_H

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Electrical Question Reply with quote

Hey all. Small problem here.

I accidentally left my lights on in my bug killing the battery.

I hooked up one of my work vans to it for a jump start. It popped a fuse (which I promptly replaced - and it hasn't popped again since) but the battery will charge a little and when I disconnect the jumper cables after about 30 seconds the generator light gives me a soft glow (not ultra bright, but it's on) and then about 30 - 45 seconds later the car just dies.

What the heck did I do? I checked all the in-line fuses I could, replaced any fuses that were 'questionable' and still I get the same results.

I have brought the battery home and put it on a trickle charger to see if that helps things.

Any suggestions in the mean time?

Thanks!

Carl

(The Newbie)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an alternator, it sounds like a bad diode. Generator, not sure.
Carl_H

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a generator. I fully charged the battery on a trickle charger last night and reinstalled it. Car starts but once I disconnect the positive lead the car dies. Could I have fried the voltage regulator?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a generator. I fully charged the battery on a trickle charger last night and reinstalled it. Car starts but once I disconnect the positive lead the car dies. Could I have fried the voltage regulator?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a meter and test it with the battery hooked up and the car running.
Sam Cates

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a bad reg. Test the generator, follow same steps for polarizing. If the Gen spins, its probably a bad reg. I may have a good spare reg, let me know if you need it.
Carl_H

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info all (and the offer SAM!!) I should be able to get to it this weekend. As of today (10/3/12) I have 95 hours in this pay period (two weeks) and I still have two days to go till the end of the pay period. I haven't had a lot of time for anything else.

Will keep you posted.

PS: Sam, if I set the generator up for mock polarization and it doesn't go, the generator is bad, isn't it? (Payday isn't close enough!! LOL)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it should spin like a motor when set up for polarization. If not, you can pull it apart, check the brushes and the armature, if they are dirty or brushes are in bad shape, shoot for a brush set first, and clean the armature with some sand paper. If it doesn't work after that it is time for a new one, and at that point I would just get an alternator conversion kit online, it would probably be almost as cheap as a new gen. and be far more reliable.
Carl_H

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so... here are the steps I followed.

Checked the battery voltage. 12.22VDC. I know it's not the 13.5-14.5 it supposed to be, but I kept going.

Voltage off the generator (hooked up and running at idle) was 3.53VDC, but I kept going.

Logic dictated that I disconnect the generator at this time. If the light goes out, it's the generator. If not, keep going. Well, it didn't go out.

I pulled ALL the fuses by the steering column while the car was running. Generator light remains on still. Car remains running. Pull the positive lead to the battery and the car dies.

At this point, I am assuming it's the voltage regulator. I have bought a new one but have not installed it at this time, as I wanted to get feedback, as O'Reillys won't take back parts that have been installed.

Thoughts? Ideas? Am I on the right path?

Thanks again all!!

Carl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl, how soon do you need the bug on the road? I can give you a hand figuring it all out, but I work through next Sunday, so Friday through Sunday I will have part of the day to help out. Monday through Thursday I am in school. Give me a call and we'll give it a go.

Sam

(509) 939-0741
Carl_H

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

That would be great! I have Sat and Sun off. I'll give you a call tomorrow and we can figure something out.

Carl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: