River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Engines and ETs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bad Bug Two

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Engines and ETs Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity....

Since I don't know too many "bug people" up here yet, for those that are running performance engine in their street bugs, what are your combos? Also, if you have run the quarter mile with it, what kind of times have you run?

One last thing, although neither one of us has raced recently, is their anyone other than Bruce Katterfield and myself that have dedicated race bugs in this area?

Cool

viperbgy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

glad to see you visiting the site, their are many that along with Troy's expertise could use your help, sure wish you could do some reasonable street gearboxes, Bruce says you have been busy moving etc....

I need a swing box for a buggy......got anything around?

Again good to hear from ya......

And no, retired from all racing......to old and fat..... Shocked Shocked Shocked

Dune Buggies are unequaled in "Smiles per Miles"
dssbk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff, howzit goin'

I have a street bug that runs 13 secs. on slicks with a stock gearing 4.37 R&P trans (super diff of course) Its the red bug in the car pics section.
My engine is: 78.8 stroke X 90.5 bore (2028cc), Dual 48 IDAS ,Ported Heads (42 x 35 valves), Camshaft FK-10 with 1.4 ratio rockers, Scat H-Beam rods (stock length), 8.5:1 comp. ratio, Stage III clutch

It moves, ran 13's but kind of babied it of the line to save the trans and still busted it (replaced it with the same type of trans but got one with a super diff in it). I have not raced it since.

I am currently building a TURBO race bug, its a 62 Beetle gutted out, with Fiberglass front, doors, and rear fenders, RLR roll cage, Wheelie bars, Weld wheels wiht front runners and slicks, 2276cc Motor.
This car should do 10 secs.
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Engines and ETs Reply with quote

Change to a stage 1 clutch and your trans will last longer.
ARR #3
dssbk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: It's not the clutch!!! Reply with quote

The tranny failed because of a lack of oil to the diff and also because it was a stock diff with a weld in Beef-a-Diff (which was probably done in the 80's), not because of the clutch.
It cracked all the welds on the on the Beef-a-Diff and seized one of the side gears in the housing. For those not familliar with the design of the stock diff, the carrier assy. (housing where the spider gears are located) has a small opening in it which restricts the flow of oil to the gears which will cause failure during high speed abuse. The Super Diff has a much bigger opening which eliminates this problem.
Anyway, it lasted for 2 days of racing and a 20 mile ride home but the fun that I had was worth every dollar that I spent on the replacement trans. (with Super Diff of course)
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Engines and ETs Reply with quote

Not saying the clutch is what killed your last trans (it didn't help though), I'm saying your new trans will last longer with less clutch, less shock load. A stage 1 and a good disc will hold up fine with your 2007 and be a lot nicer to drive on the street.
ARR #3
dssbk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Troy, I know what you meant about the clutch, sorry if I sounded like a wise ass but I wasn't trying to be one( that's not how I am). Any way, thinking back when I raced the car I believe it was a stage I clutch in it at the time. It was just a piece of junk trans which I wasn't suprised that got busted.
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Engines and ETs Reply with quote

No problem, I know better than to take things too serious online, too hard to tell ones tone. Darren busts my ass all the time for blunt answers I have given. Nice looking beetle by the way! Got a pretty good look at it at our show. Seem to run pretty hard too, saw you leave the show in front of Yokes on Arrgonne a couple weeks ago. You should join us for our Aug cruise night to Little Bennies, on the 17th.
ARR #3
viperbgy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Darren busts my ass all the time for blunt answers I have given.

WHAT???????????????

NOT ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dune Buggies are unequaled in "Smiles per Miles"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: