River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

New member intro...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Cates

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: New member intro... Reply with quote

Well I suppose since almost all of you don't know me, I suppose I should introduce myself...

My name is Sam, I just bought my first "REAL RUNNING" VW last week. I owned an '89 Fox long ago, but I gave up trying to get the turd to go. I now own a '66 bug, and I LOVE it. I have lived in Spokane all my life and am looking forward to meeting people here, and attending some VW events this year.

...and since I don't know a WHOLE lot about air cooled, anything I should know is really appreciated, I know I have tons of questions already!

Here she is the day after I brought her home (excuse the mess, I have unruly neighbors in my apartment building and I haven't made a dump run lately...)

ONEBADBUG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you know 66 is kind of a one year only weird car right? Does the engine number start with "f"?
Welcome.
Sam Cates

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that '67 was the one year car, I know a lot of things were changed between '65 and '67 but '67 was the major stuff...I plan on leaving the body the way it is for the most part, I like the patina. I bought a 2 1/2" drop spindle kit and new interior stuff. Engine runs really smooth, but I think it needs a valve adjustment. Also bought a new exhaust system.
sandals

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New member intro... Reply with quote

Sam Cates wrote:

...and since I don't know a WHOLE lot about air cooled, anything I should know is really appreciated, I know I have tons of questions already!

Your car has a flat tire.

Welcome to the site. Wink
JCWagar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and best wishes...
williamalan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw you driving that beast last week! Even took a picture cuz i want my 68 to have that same stance youve got now. Love the look with the dropped front end. Did you narrow your beam also or just do the spindles?

Hope to see you around!
Sam Cates

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamalan wrote:
I saw you driving that beast last week! Even took a picture cuz i want my 68 to have that same stance youve got now. Love the look with the dropped front end. Did you narrow your beam also or just do the spindles?

Hope to see you around!

Just put a pair of 2 1/2" drop spindles on it so far, I think I will either narrow it 3-4" or run a bit smaller tire up front, they rub when cornering. I am at the moment in the process of going 12v and creating a little "artificial patina." I stripped and sanded the center section down the the original white so it is now two-tone. Also plan on painting the wheels red.
williamalan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds rad. I'm going through a similar process with my 68. Only it's been in a couple accidents so every fender and door is a different color underneath, so it's looking pretty funny. Haha. Also doing the drop spindles and 2in narrowed beam. We may have twin bugs here soon. Here's mine right now:

I just came into a bunch of 67 bug parts so let me know if you're in need of anything. I'm stoked to see the finished project!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: