River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Short circut.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ratbug

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Short circut. Reply with quote

I've been having some minor issues with my blinkers, blowing the fuse that "rules" the blinkers, fuel gauge and brake lights, or at least that's the #10 fuse I believe in my '73 Super. (or maybe it was #11...I'm sure a few people have messed with the wiring over the years since '73) Anyway, regardless of what the manuals say, my #10 or #11 has the brake lights, fuel gauge, and the flashers/blinkers on it...and it's big time shorted out right now.

Thought I had it all ironed out, thought I had found the short a while back, and they worked fine for quite a while...although sometimes the turn signals would flash slowly, sometimes quickly.

Driving through Spokane in the Ratbug yesterday (and getting screamed at by gang-bangers...couldn't understand WHAT they were screaming)(they were also screaming and yelling at people in the cross-walks) I noticed my fuel gauge suddenly go dead, and no more blinkers/turn signals.

Tried to put in a couple of spare fuses, but they would pop instantly, so drove home with no blinkers or brake lights.

My question is, if the little flasher units/boxes that plug into the back of the fuse box/panel are bad, or goes bad, will that cause a short? Has anyone had that happen? Or in other words will, or does, the flasher ever short out when it goes bad?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If any mods are reading this...still can't get an Avatar working.

k.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

Sounds like alot going on there. When you said the fuel gauge stopped working, I was thinking it could be a ground. Same with the blinkers...but popping fuses, that's definately a short somewhere. Maybe a frayed hot wire touching ground somewhere in the turnsignals? I would start by checking where the wiring harness passes through the fenders. Usually there is a boot there, but could of been removed, and something has chaffed the wire enough to short it? Sounds like alot of wires have been moved around on your fuse block through the years! Chasing wires can definately waste a weekend or two! Good luck!

Scott
(Cruise nights coming up! Don't be like Eric and I...we gotta get home before dark cause our lights usually stop working on the 6volt cars!!)
Ratbug

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I had cleaned up the wiring pretty good when I got the car, and also when I switched fenders I checked and cleaned up the wiring pretty well. Generally speaking it all seemed to be in pretty good shape, no chafed, cracked or worn insulation that I could find. That's why I hesitate to think that a hot wire has just started shorting out, although that's most likely the cause.

Well I'm still hoping it's the flasher unit...however I just realized that the fuse blows the instant the ignition/power is turned on, with lights and blinkers off. Perhaps the fuel gauge is shorting out, as, in theory at least, that would be the only thing going "hot" when the switch is first turned on.

Or...I guess the other culprit would/could be the turn signal switch in the steering column. I guess power would go to that when the ignition is turned on.

Tail lights and head lights still work great...could live without turn signals (although it seems like a lot of people don't understand hand/arm signals when I'm driving the '48 Dodge) but I'm kind of fond of the brake lights (!!!) and the fuel gauge is a nice luxury.

Anyway I look at it...I agree, at least another day of chasing wires.

Thanks for the help with brain-storming. (in my case that would be a light drizzle)

k.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Messed around a bit with it today and here's what I found.

On the #11 fuse, where the short is, there was a black wire, and a double green wire.

Black wire goes to the horn, and is good. I plugged the horn wire into one of the #12 fuse spades and the horn works normally.

One of the green wires, (two green wires into one female spade connection, did not look factory) is the short.

The other green wire goes to the turn signals, but if I put power to it now, the blinker box, on the back of the fuse box, makes it's blinker noise but does not work the blinkers/turn signals, or the blinker indicator light in the speedo. Just makes noise. I also tried different flasher/blinker boxes that I had as spares...same results

For some reason there is not power to the #2 and #3 fuses, which are the low beams. If I jump power to the fuse, the low beams work normally. No short there. Power to the low beams must have some how tied into the shorted green wire.

I unplugged all the leads into the steering column and tested the shorted wire. Still shorted, so the short is not in the turn signal switch.

Looking at the wiring in my parts car, one green wire seems to go to the speedometer, and one to the back of the car...but the wiring in that car is a mess.

I took the leads off the gas tank for the fuel gauge. Shorted green wire is still shorted...so it's not the sending unit.

The brake lights now work. ?? They must tie into the black wire that goes to the horn.

Next step will be to drop the fuse box, and tie a hot lead into the low beam fuses, and take a good look to make sure the short is not in there. At that point, I'll have all lights, and brake lights, but no turn signals or fuel gauge. I kind of liked that fuel gauge...but the '48 (Dodge) and the motorcycle don't have fuel gauges...so I know the drill. Carry a full gas can and/or keep track of the mileage.

I'm not sure where to start, to trouble shoot the turn signals.

There's something to chew on for any wiring wizards out there. Any suggestions appreciated.

TIA.

k.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Ratbug rides again. Reply with quote

Ratbug rides again. I managed to trace the offending wire all the way to the speedometer, as I suspected from looking at the wiring in my parts car.

Where some of the wires (specifically my offending green wire) plug into the spade connection(s) on the speedometer, kind of a "gang-spade", this gang-spade was touching on a metal part of the dash. I could even see some burn marks where it was arcing. Insulated it and she all works fine, fuel gauge, blinkers, low beams, everything. How sweet it is.

Didn't have to jump/patch a lead over to the low beams, that seems to be a function of the flasher box, so when I changed boxes the first time I must not have had it plugged all the way in, but was able to get it good and tight after I dropped the fuse panel. Or...maybe that is the relay for the low beams, the other box being the flasher box. Whatever. I'm happy.

ken.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Glad to hear you got it all sorted out Ken! Good weather coming up! At least one car in the west plains can stay out after dark!!

Scott
wheezzy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
At least one car in the west plains can stay out after dark!!

Hey come on now, all my lights work fine. Its just the brakes themselves that are questionable.
hubcapt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that the ice has melted Wheezy has come back to life!!
williamalan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hubcapt wrote:
Now that the ice has melted Wheezy has come back to life!!

Wish I would have found this thread before this weekend. Then maybe I would have been able to fix my gas gauge before we dumped the tank all over the garage!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: