River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

2001 VW Cabrio Head Gasket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonesy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: 2001 VW Cabrio Head Gasket Reply with quote

I need to replace the head gasket in my daughters cabrio. Any suggestions or things to watch for or things I should also do while I'm at it? It has only 103,000 miles but started to leak. Any special tools? parts or just plain suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: 2001 VW Cabrio Head Gasket Reply with quote

I'd do the timing belt too, maybe the water pump and other belts while you are there. Make sure to use the correct coolant, no green stuff!
ARR #3
dukebradbury

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonesy,

What year is your Cabrio? Probably has the 2.0L ABA motor.

What is your head gasket leaking? Oil or Coolant? Make sure if it is oil that it isn't from your valve cover gasket--very common on ABA motors. If it is coolant, double check the coolant flange on the left side (drivers side) of the cylinder head--another common problem.

I agree with Troy. Replace the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump.
When replacing the cylinder head gasket, replace the head bolts--they are torque to yield and must be replaced every time you loosen them. You will also need a upper intake gasket.

Make sure you straight edge the cylinder head. If an overheating situation caused the leak, warpage of the aluminum head is very possible. Be very careful when removing coolant hoses that are attached to the black plastic hard lines. They are very fragile and can break easily
Jonesy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You.were right on. Not the head gasket at all. It was the flange. Running like a champ now. Got it back together a few days ago. Thanks for.the advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: