River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

'73 VW exhaust question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
machete4310

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: '73 VW exhaust question Reply with quote

hey, i have a '73 beetle and im looking at getting a new exhaust system for it. the one i want is a four tip exhaust and is only registered for years 69-71. will it still mount and run ok?
Sprø Norsk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"ok" is the operative word. Do not quote me on this, as I am not as fluent in late models, but I believe 73 offered FI. If this were the case the muffler you are looking at would not work. If it is just a regular old 1600 the muffler would (sort of Laughing ) bolt up. The 4 tip styled like this:
do not flow well, sound bad after time, and fitment is typically an issue. Try it if you will but, depending on what you have, I would hang onto it just in case...

If you were looking for something else for a power boost in exhaust land I would look at a header with quiet pack-or something along those lines.
machete4310

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kindly!
ONEBADBUG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the quality of current stuff, but I used to install quite a few "monza" brand like this, and I thought they were a good compromise between the standard exhaust and a real header. BTW, 1975 was the first year for fuel injection.
Sprø Norsk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for setting me straight! Very Happy

I am sure you will be able to find opinions on both sides for the 4 tip exhaust systems. Name brand is the way to go for sure though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: