River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Why the drain??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCWagar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Why the drain?? Reply with quote

O.k. so we are set for the Lind Run, but of late my bus has been draining on its own for some reason.
First off, I am the world's most rookie mechanic and starting to learn the zen of VW engine....slowly.
Last week she was working fine. I replaced some burned out fuses and tinkered with the "dome" lights. Then it started draining. Would start during the day but every morning be needing a charge. I went back and check all fuses and connections I messed with but still draining.
What do you VW Veterans recommend? Ideas?
Thanks in advance.
I am bringing battery cables just in case. I am sure I will need such. Rolling Eyes
motofly196

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is the battery? Could be shot...if it's not old, you definately have something draining it, if it's doing it that quickly. Aftermarket radio?

Scott
hubcapt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive there with the cables connected to the battery, once we get there and park, disconnect the battery, we've all been there before.
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Why the drain?? Reply with quote

You have a generator or alternator? Did you put a charger on it? If you have an alternator it won't recharge the battery fully if it wasn't at full charge to begin with, a generator will. Battery could be bad, belt could be too loose also.
ARR #3
JCWagar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generator/Not sure about the battery/No radio that works at all, just the old stock one.
So will charge over night and then bring what I need to disconnect tomorrow.
I am guessing a new battery can't hurt so upon our return to Newport I shall do that. We will see. Still seems strange to me.
Thanks a lot guys. See you tomorrow...
motofly196

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some batteries as they get older will hold a charge (12.6 Volts), but when placed under load (starting the engine) will fail. Napa will test your battery for free...they have a really nice computerized load tester that places it under several loads on a cycle. Wish I had one of those....they were able to do my 6volt battery that way. Bring it to them with a full charge, then you'll at least know where to go from there. It sucks trying to track a short/ drain on your system if you don't even know if the battery is the culprit.

Scott
motofly196

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some batteries as they get older will hold a charge (12.6 Volts), but when placed under load (starting the engine) will fail. Napa will test your battery for free...they have a really nice computerized load tester that places it under several loads on a cycle. Wish I had one of those....they were able to do my 6volt battery that way. Bring it to them with a full charge, then you'll at least know where to go from there. It sucks trying to track a short/ drain on your system if you don't even know if the battery is the culprit.

Scott
JCWagar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like that is my next step then Motofly before I get too involved in what may be a short somewhere. I really have no idea of the age of the battery.
Thanks all. I greatly appreciate the advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: