River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

2011 Bugfair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lowdowndub

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: 2011 Bugfair Reply with quote

Has a date been set for this years Bug Fair?
smithe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you click on the Bugfair link at the top of the page it says the club is saying goodbye to Bugfair after 26 years....
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: 2011 Bugfair Reply with quote

There is not going to be a show this year. The club may put a different show on in the future. We are doing other functions including the Club Challenge in June as well as monthly cruise nights starting this month.
ARR #3
sandals

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts of hosting another swap meet like the one last October?
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: 2011 Bugfair Reply with quote

Yes, hoping to do that again
ARR #3
Lowdowndub

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why end the show? Was it money... time.... interest?
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: 2011 Bugfair Reply with quote

First thing, it's not up for discussion its a done deal, last year was it for this show. There were several factors involved and about six years of talk, so no no rash decisions were made. Long story short, the show had run its course and its time to do something different. We plan to do something new in the future, what and where are up for club member discussion. In the mean time come join us for a cruise night, the club challenge or a meeting, nothing happens if we don't have COMMITTED members!
ARR #3
Lowdowndub

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Mr. Hobbs. Didn't really need to discuss, I was just curious. Seems like you've had to defend that decision quit a bit based on your abrasive response.

Something different? Like what? Seems like shows are a great time for VW lovers to come together and show off our hard work or just BS.

Committed members? Sounds like it's time for a "Lake City" VW club.

Sorry to trouble you Mr. Hobbs.
ONEBADBUG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you start your own club, and organize a show, I promise to show up.
But not help.
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: 2011 Bugfair Reply with quote

Was not meant to be an abrassive response, just answering what is ussually the next question ahead of time. Bad of me to assume. Trouble is, you get a few new people that have grand ideas that don't follow through on them or are not able to commit the time needed to make it work, hence the Committed member remark. No ill feelings on my part, always looking for new VW faces.

As to different, something more casual/laidback, and at a lower or no cost to the participants and spectators.

ARR #3
Orange

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Lowdowndub Reply with quote

Bugfair, the cruises, the classes and the activities are awesome. I admire the time and effort that a few club members put into making these things happen.

Sadly, the number of club members participating/volunteering keeps going down in general. Public attendance at Bugfair was declining as well. (I know we bailed on Bugfair last year due to conflicting schedules, which added to the problem.) The club went through the heart wrenching decision over the last few years to let the contracts expire and end Bugfair. Meanwhile people keep complaining about everything, yet these same people bail at the last minute on club related things. I can see why the main club organizers get defensive.

On the brighter side, Troy keeps asking for suggestions at club meetings as to what the members would like to do and would be willing to show up for.
hubcapt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, the show was good, and a huge thanks to the club for putting it on for so many years! But change doesn't have to be a bad thing, of course the show will be missed, but with the swap last fall and the race to lind I think some fun activities are still going to be happening.

And we all knew someone would prob ask the question sometime.

If I can throw in my $.02, if the club meeting wasn't held in a library after work I would attend the meeting, not saying I'm not a fan of the Dewy Decimal System but after work I don't have the mustard to sit in a library. If the meeting was held in a restaurant or bar though I'd prob be a happy attendant. The Sunday morning breakfast draws a good crowd sometimes, maybe start the Wednesday night cruise/meeting/dinner?
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: 2011 Bugfair Reply with quote

We use the meeting room downstairs so we don't have to be quiet at least. We went to the library for several reasons. With restaurants or bars you have the issue of having to buy something, not being able to bring kids along or having to rent a room. We used several places over the years. The library is a stable/safe public place, and new people tend to be a little more comfortable in that kind of setting, plus the library is free for us to use!
ARR #3
Bad Bug Two

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2011 Bugfair Reply with quote

Troy Hobbs wrote:
...its time to do something different.

How many guys in the area do you think have made performance mods to their bugs?

There must be at least a few!

Also, how many race only bugs are in the area?

I know of mine and Bruce's, but am not aware of any others. Both of us have not raced in a bit, but I am finally going to get mine out this year again. Twisted Evil

Where am I headed with this? Two different directions/possibilities...

One, would there be enough interest to try to have a bug race at the drag strip? (I am kind of doubting it.)

Secondly, and possibly more feasible, how about a dyno day? There is a strong likely hood that I could put one on at the college as a fund raiser. Possibly picking a charity to donate the proceeds to?

For example, just yesterday we held our first dyno fund raiser at the college and it went very well. It was co-hosted by Meals On Wheels and we split the proceeds with half of the money going to Meals On Wheels and half going to the automotive department. I wont have a tally until tomorrow, however, we dynoed 44 trucks and they donated a minimum of $60 each.

Now I realize that most of us are a bit tighter on dollars, so I might be able to pull off something like a minimum of a $20 dollar donation and the charity could be voted on by the club? If so, I could arrange for some students and I to run the dyno and then the club would have to handle all of the money collecting and distribution to the charity. We might be able to let 100% of the proceeds go to the chosen charity. Again, this is just a "thinking out loud" idea.

Just a thought?

Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: 2011 Bugfair Reply with quote

Jeff, PM sent
ARR #3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: