River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

I know some of you are into older bikes....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smithe

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: I know some of you are into older bikes.... Reply with quote

I just got this today. Not as old as some bikes out there, but if I read the serial number right, it's manufacture was June of '76. It works well enough, tires are both flat though, not original either. I thought it was cool and basically got it for free.

youngm357

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is sweet Eric

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I need to put the new tires and tubes in it. At some point I might get some whitewalls, get a matching seat and whatever else, but for now I just want to ride it.
Long-roofs

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Middle-Weight bike....cool ride, and much lighter than the Heavy-Weights. Remember, the Vintage Bike Cruise is the first Sunday of every month, all year.

Vintage Bike Swap Meet is June 5th at The Swamp Tavern parking lots, along with The Flake & Suede Swamp Stomp.
smithe

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
Looks like a Middle-Weight bike....cool ride, and much lighter than the Heavy-Weights. Remember, the Vintage Bike Cruise is the first Sunday of every month, all year.

Vintage Bike Swap Meet is June 5th at The Swamp Tavern parking lots, along with The Flake & Suede Swamp Stomp.

Don't know enough to know what a "middle weight" bike really is, it's a Schwinn Typhoon. I work the first Sunday of every month and June 5th I have drill Sad Oh well. I need to either find a red seat or paint the bike black to match the seat....
smithe

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got some generic 26" tires to get this thing on the road, but the do not fit, I have tried everything, including breaking two of my best tire "irons". Anyway, I got tubes in and the old tires that are in marginal condition at best on and took it for a short ride. Pretty fun, if awkward compared to the bicycle I normally put a lot of miles on. I did manage to cause a slow leak in one of the new tubes while fighting with the tire.

All that to lead up to this, is there a good source of tires for these old bikes locally? I assumed it was a simple 26x1.75 like is on the existing tires, but the same size in a new tire just didn't work out.
hubcapt

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats cause schwinn had to be "different" and ran 1 3/4" tires. Before you say, "well 1.75 and 1 3/4 inch tires are the same size" guess again. Since you have schwinn rims, the only tires that will fit must specificly say either made for schwinn or 1 3/4. Its probably one of the most frustrating things with old schwinns.

Solution, run the OG tires, find some on ebay, or buy other rims, then you can put whatever tire you want on them.

Good luck!
hubcapt

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have a pic of it, but I had some really bad tires, schwinn only, for a fair lady, didnt want to pay for new ones so I bandaged the outside with pieces of an old tube and electrical taped it around the tire and rim. This bike has been on over 5 vintage bike rides with the yellow lumpy bandaged front tire...
smithe

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the tires. Doubt I will go with new wheels, they are the originals, so I will suffer with the issue. Thinking if I can't find a matching seat, I will paint it black.
hubcapt

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No prob, good luck with it.
smithe

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
smithe

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I could make the one in July since it's July 4th and I wont have to work. Here's hoping they have it!
hubcapt

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could prob find a seat and tires at the swap next saturday, the flyer is on c-list in the bike section.

Actually there will be some of us there with our veewees puking out bikes/parts
smithe

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working, I stopped by Time Bomb to see if he had a spare, no luck though. He said he would look, if you could look for me, maybe a trade black for red, or a reasonable price? Do you still have my #?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: