River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

58 panel dilemma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
58 splitty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: 58 panel dilemma Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

Mark and I have been very absent VW owners, and club members over the last year or so. Too many things happening and just never seems to be enough time!! Some of you might remember us, we have a 58 Panel, and the 62 Nash Met Convertible. We did a pumpkin run with you all in the Nash a few years ago.

We are finally going to get back to working on the van (Yeah!) Just to catch you all up on our project; we have a 58 panel bus that is stripped, wheels are off and is ready to be rebuilt, ground up. Here is where we could use some advice. The van has been clipped with a later 70’s (?) water cooled van. The engine is still in the back and the radiator faces the passenger side of the van. As you can imagine there are all sorts of issues with having a water cooled engine in a van designed to be air-cooled. One of the biggies is trying to get enough air to the radiator. The nice thing is that the van goes much faster than it most likely should and we have the engine and front and rear axles.

Since we are basically starting from scratch, we are trying to decide if we should just return it to it’s original state or work with what we have. (I should clarify this last statement – I am wondering if we should go back to original or continue on. Mark looks at me like I am crazy. However, he is slowly warming to the idea Rolling Eyes .)

The can of the van is in pretty good shape and not a whole lot of rust, but the underside is not so good. Basically the whole underside needs to be rebuilt. Very rusted out. The clip is not the exact same size so we will have to make some channel that will work. We also have no under pan so we will need to make that once we have everything replaced.

So what would you do in our situation? Any thoughts or suggestions?

If you do think that we should take it back to the original, any suggestions on where to find a parts bus?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to everyone and here is to a very VW productive year!

Terri and Mark Wagar
ONEBADBUG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to see a picture. From what I am hearing, it sounds like something that could never be "original".
There's nothing wrong with that, custom stuff is cool.
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: 58 panel dilemma Reply with quote

With some Gerson funky green metal or a parts bus, anything can be brought back to stock! If I remember from the description or pictures (its been a couple years) it looked to be Dasher drivetrain hacked in. We could get you in touch with Craig @ Vintage, he could do the needed underbody repairs and may have a parts bus.
ARR #3
58 splitty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your insight. I would love to post the pictures, but I am unsure if you would be able to see much coming over the site. If anyone is interested I could bring the pictures to the next club meeting.

The meeting are still on the 1st Wed @ 7:00 in the valley library? right? Will there be a meeting in Jan?

It also might be good to talk with Craig and get his toughts too. BTW, the Gerson funky green out of Bogota Columbia???? Will I need to rob a bank or send down the 1st born to pay for the parts?

Thanks again... Terri
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: 58 panel dilemma Reply with quote

Yes there will be a Jan meeting, and yes still the first WED @ 7pm. Gerson has a couple dealers in the states, so you don't have to ship from Columbia unless you want to buy direct.
ARR #3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: