River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Buster Bug
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TinkerBug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Buster Bug Reply with quote

Hi all!
"Buster" and I are new here. By recommendation of the folks in Spokane that have the 67 teal bug with flames, I have decided to join you guys in this horrible, money pit addiction I call "beetle fever" Very Happy Yes, i know it is silly to name a car, but it worked for Herbie, so there's that. =)

I just bought "Buster" on July 1st, and quit smoking a day later. I figured all the spare money I had should only go into ONE smoker, soooooo there's that story. hehe

He's a 68, and seems mostly original, or stock. He's definitely got some "aftermarket" hodgepodge stuff goin on, but all in all he's in REALLY great shape. Someone loved him greatly for a while, and then someone else just well, didn't. I use being a 100% blockheaded german girl as an excuse for my addiction as well as my belief in what was truly designed as the best car EVER. i did however own a 74 super which didn't hold a candle to this little guy in craftsmanship and integrity. (turn the radio up to load the running boards fell off)

He needs a lot of work, but my first fistful of dollars, broken fingernails, sweat, and a special kind of grime that stays with you for weeks, went into "his" engine overhaul. My boyfriend helped me replace the back window gasket (a joy for window installing virgins), but it went fairly well. I haven't decided on a paint scheme yet. As much as i admire the look of many of the bugs i have seen here in Spokane, i want someone to say... "hey, there's Buster".

Our next project is going to be to replace the front clip and fenders and reattach the bumper. Then it's on to the floor pan. (he's got a hole towards the back of the driver seat). The front quarter has already been replaced, so i think i am going to have to go full half. HOORAY!

Well, that's the story of how Buster Bug took down a pack of camels (old smoker joke). I look forward to seeing you guys around town, be sure to not look at me like I'm nuts if i wave or throw up a peace sign. (Buster can't honk until i repair the front and reattach the horn, hehe). I'm sure I'll respectfully look to you "senior veedub lovers" for advice in the future!

Natascha

this is the link to the online album i will be posting new activities in. Wouldn't mind knowing how you guys actually insert images in the body of your text.
http://www5.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=321047026/a=264346026_264346026/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/
vwrus66

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool story! Welcome you will learn alot from the people here.
85 Golf GTI
97 Jetta
2008 Rabbit
smithe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the insanity! As far as linking a pic, once you have it uploaded somewhere, you can copy the url in the address bar, as long as it ends in .jpg, .bmp or other picture type file, click the Img button in the post a reply screen here on the forums, and then past the information. Then click the preview button to make sure it worked out right.

Hope all that helps and makes sense. Oh yeah, the link you put up doesn't seem to work.
TinkerBug

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: oops Reply with quote

yeah, i just checked the link from my work laptop. you are correct. that's a pain. you may have noticed the pictures i posted on the actually picture forum. seems the goofy blonde figured it out. i will try to get the album thing figured out, not just for you guys, but my friends like to see "his" progress as well.

thanks for the nice welcomes. i was beginning to think i was going to have to get inducted before anyone saw me as part of "the in crowd" hehe

i look forward to great many bug adventures. goodness knows i have already had a few. it almost makes me sad that i use my work van for daily commute. i'm surprised my '04 pickup started the other day. it had been two weeks that i neglected it for Buster. haha
CustomVW

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Was wondering, is it the one that was off illinois ave?
TinkerBug

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

yeah it is.
was in pretty bad shape when i got "him"
wouldn't go into first, ran too rich, smoked, leaked oil in 7 different places, liked to flood, wouldn't start if he stalled, hole in the floor, hole where the spare tire goes....

minor (well, if you read the manual that comes with it, and have a bf willing to help in the dark) clutch adjustment and he shifts just fine now

had the engine overhauled about 2 weeks later. not all of which i take credit for. i had rebuilt my 74 bug motor myself, but it took a long time. i wanted this one done quick so i could enjoy driving him. runs great, by no means perfect. my boyfriend and i plan on putting together a new motor with at least 3 more horsepower =P here in the next few years. i was really good at leggos and licoln logs the engine should be a cinch.

it was in a front end collision obviously. but already found a 68 "clean" bug body to get the front clip and fenders from. you might even know or have hired the guy that did most of the engine work for me. (assuming that you are the chris i am thinking of)
CustomVW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the vehicle well. He had just purchased it, and drove it to us, to see why it was rich, and pissing oil everywhere. it sat for a day before I could look at it. I grabbed the crank pulley, saw the endplay, and called him with the bad news. He then started selling it the next day.

I told him if he sold his, he should come and purchase mine.

How much did he get out of it?
TinkerBug

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not even partly enough to buy yours =D
he wanted 1500
i told him he was nuts
but he was desperate to sell it.
he told me he paid 1200
and i told him if he was telling the truth,
he got screwed. =D
i like to haggle.
regardless, Buster is in good hands now.
CustomVW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, he told me he paid 1200 to, and I said the same thing Smile
I showed him the one out back (800%beter rig) and told him to go get me $1500, and it was his.
CustomVW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to make money on mine, I'm just tying to get somebody deserving into a decent bug. I've turned away 6 people on it so far, just because, they didn't seem like air-cooled people....know what I mean. bugs need someone who pays attention to the car, not the radio.

His wasn't a bad bug, just badly treated, soudns like it got a god home, lemme know if you need anything for it.

509-483-3970
TinkerBug

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes i wish i had purchased one "finished" or at least repaired. but i figure to really be able to take pride in something, you have to take ownership of the work and love that went into it. he is aptly named for the condition he was in when i got him. if it weren't for the rust, and the collision he was in, i dont think it would even bother with body or paint work. he's "cute" the way he is. the spot i AM concerned about is the one on the roof. i'm afraid of what i will or WON'T find under all that damn bondo, rofl.

the endplay in the engine is far from gone. but it's amazing how much better a car runs and sounds when you tighten/torque a few things to where they should be, and adjust some rocker arms and get the darn thing firing right in the first place, lol.

my end goal is gonna be a bit away. i really want to build a new "super" engine for him, that has at least 50hp =P

whre do you order ur parts from? i've heard JC is substandard, but wolfsburg seems a bit spendy on a lot of things. i need to get the body molding for pretty much the entire front end.... fenders, bumper "gaskets", turn signals, etc.

i definitely will keep your number handy in case i need to pick your brain... unless you don't like that sorta thing (tryin to outsource as little amount of labor as possible...want to feel accomplished) =D
CustomVW

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the every day to day parts I order from a wholesale company, that specializes in imports. Everythign else I tend to order from www.CIP!.com, jsut simply becuase they have the best service I've encounterd, plus they can package things so even UPS can screw it up.
The way it was explained to me is like this. Importer "X" buys a fuckton of stuff from a manufacturer in spain, brazil, germany, etc...then starts finding vendors in the us to buy from him.
the bigger sellers, like cip1, midamerica, etc, pay top dollar, to make sure they get the best of what comes in. places like jbugs, and jcwhitney, end up buying, whatever everyone else didn't want to buy.....I think that is why they tend to have inferior stuff.
smithe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will 2nd the cip1 recommendation, I really like them. Also, a buddy of mine purchased a "finished" '66 Bug and he is having plenty of issues and finding weird crap like you would not believe. I think a person is better off doing it all themselves so they know the truth of their own car.
wheezzy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it took me about 3 yrs to work out all the "issues" with my 68 bus. but since then it has been the most reliable vehicle i have ever owned,
she never lets me down.
now i just need to learn how to do body work, then she will be beautiful again.
smithe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help a little with the body work, I am no expert, but if you need to fill some some areas, I can give a few tips and tell you the best stuff to use. If it's welding, I can't help you except to recommend a good guy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: