River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

t4 cinfusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> Car Pictures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: t4 cinfusion Reply with quote

hello all. I've spent a good part of the past two weeks (since I have nothing better to do here at Ft. Lewis) researching motors. I've read that the t4 motor has the best stock ratings for hp and torque. the pics I'm seeing are to me t3's can someone please show me the difference between t3's and t4's. I have a 72 baja that I'm trying to get back on the road. She was butchered up pretty bad in the front. (cut for a one piece w/ front roll cage. something you would see on a full custom front end.)
again in case I lost you, I need to know the difference between T3's and T4's thanks and I'll see you at the next bugfair....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: t4 Reply with quote

the cutting was like MattD-36's on the samba. I say butchered because as we all know or maybe I'm ingorant the trunk area needs to be sealed inorder the have heat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with a T1 style engine, that way, when you melt somethign, or blow something up, your repair costs are lower. Parts are also more plentiful for t1 engines then t4. plus it fits correctly.

I have a 1776, sitting on the flor, overhauled for $1200.
bugpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: t4 Reply with quote

question still not answered

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A type 3 engine is basically the same block as a type 1 ,but with the cooling fan is on the front (rear of car) to make it a pancake style motor,so it would fit in sqareback and still have luggage space in back.Type 4 engine is still a pancake style ,but a totally different engine . started out as 1700 a went up to 2000 .the best place to learn all about type4 ,is to check out the type4um on the shop talk forum web sight .also you can seal up the front of your baja ,I built the whole area up with foam and fiberglass ,and now I can drive in the rain and I have to roll down my window to close the door
CustomVW

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I got confused by the first line....

"hello all. I've spent a good part of the past two weeks (since I have nothing better to do here at Ft. Lewis) researching motors."

The basic difference is size, I don't mean as in displacement, I mean physical size. The later aircooled design used in porsche/t4/t2 bus/and t4 cars.....was alot bigger than the earlier t1 bug/ t3 engine.

the smaller t1 style longblock has more availablity of parts, and is by far simpler to repair.
The larger engine, requires alot of know how to install, but offers more durability if you can properly mount, and tune it.
A couple good resources to view different engine photos are the samba, and believe it or not...ebay. If you look really closely, you can tell the difference, especially looking at the exhuast ports.
bugpack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: t4 Reply with quote

thanks alot custimvw for the answers. i wish i could buy your motor. but, like everyone bils take priority.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> Car Pictures All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: